Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Merckx road bike that I have always loved and have coveted a similar cross bike for some time. I just picked up a new model Alu Cross with the 1 1/8 size carbon fork and the new grey paint job. I very much wanted a 57 top tube and that somewhat limited my choice, so I just jumped in with this one and have been slowly putting it together after the kids are asleep. Setup is pretty plain jane, ultegra stuff with a single ring in the front with an outer guard and plastic third eye thing to keep chain on, my first ever set of carbon cranks and froglegs brakes. They have retained the non-replaceable rear hanger on this bike, which is pretty dumb. It requires an internal Campy headset, which used a cage bearing, which seemed sort of cheasy for 60 bucks, next time will look at maybe an FSA product. The guy at the shop said there was a limited selection of headsets to fit this bike.

I am running a long cage derailer in the back (42x27 right now) and will see if the chain stays on, so far it has been ok, but I have the parts to switch to a short cage or double ring if needed, the season is a long way off.

In any event, I was able to get it out today for a nice ride in the woods. It was about 12F when I rode, very icy but not too much snow on the ground. Pretty cold day for a bike ride. I was able to get a couple hours in before my feet froze up. This bike is amazingly light, maybe I'm just used to my tank of a Merckx road bike, but wow, this thing really feels light. The steering was nice and snappy and the geometry was just what I wanted, a pretty short seat tube, longer on the top tube. Felt stiff I guess, I can never tell the difference. I think I will like this bike a lot, it's not the cheapest frame, but for a top end bike it's fairly affordable. As a masters rider, I have to make selfish purchases of expensive bikes I no longer have the talent to ride, it's only fitting. So, five stars for ride, minus a star for the stupid derailer hanger and non-standard headset setup, I hate having to buy Campy equipment, especially Huffy-looking cage ball bearings.

·
Registered
187 Posts
that is a sweet looking frame. thanks for the report. as someone looking to pick up a new frame for 2006 any and all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The derailer hanger is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect frame--they ditched the heavy 1 inch fork, which was really key and I think they moved away from the mtb geometry. I have ridden it a number of times in pretty dicey conditions and so far find it nimble and quick handling. It's an awful lot of money for a frame, but I do use the cross bike a lot and the 57tt is a little tough to find.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Umm. Pics!??

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Paging ATPJunkie...

ATPJunkie to the white courtesy phone!

M

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hope you end up liking your campy headset. I personally have had much better luck with campy over fsa, stronglight, cane creek, etc for integrated headsets. I wonder if Chris King has (or will) come out with an integrated...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boy, I agree with that article--I think the old style headsets with a king headset are the greatest for cross--the integrated is such a throwaway design that ruins the frames over time, mine were always wearing out on my giant and I only had it for a season

1 - 9 of 9 Posts