Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Could someone shed some light on these pictures, to determine if it's a Corsa, or a Corsa Extra frame.
I am in the process of buying someone else unfinished project, the seller said it's a Corsa extra, but there are no specific names or columbus decals on the frame, other than the Merckx logo. I have to judge from the pictures, but the bike looks nice enough from what I can see.
Best, vlckx

G

·
It's not the original Merckx paint.

Looks like a Corsa Extra fork crown.

The difference between a Corsa and Corsa Extra is the tubing. The Extra is SLX tubing which you can't tell apart unless you can put your finger inside the BB and feel for ridges inside the down tube and seat tube.

They both ride wonderfully.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Since it's not an original color, I might have it repainted in a team livery. Rear dropouts are stamped Eddy Merckx, not Campagnolo, like the Corsa Extra I have, and seller told me it has a new fork.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The internal brake cable routing would suggest the Corsa Extra (SLX), but if it came from the factory with the number peg it would have been either a team bike or a custom order, either of which could have had internal brake cable routing. The sloping fork crown suggest Corsa Extra also, but if it's been replaced it would most likely be with whatever we had available at the time. As someone else said, the sure way to tell is to see whether there is ribbing inside the seat tube, but you have to remove the crank and bb to tell. Either way, it's a great riding frame.

Nelson Frazier
Gita Sporting Goods, Ltd.

G

·
nelson said:
The internal brake cable routing would suggest the Corsa Extra (SLX), but if it came from the factory with the number peg it would have been either a team bike or a custom order, either of which could have had internal brake cable routing. The sloping fork crown suggest Corsa Extra also, but if it's been replaced it would most likely be with whatever we had available at the time. As someone else said, the sure way to tell is to see whether there is ribbing inside the seat tube, but you have to remove the crank and bb to tell. Either way, it's a great riding frame.

Nelson Frazier
Gita Sporting Goods, Ltd.
As Nelson says, great riding frame either way.

Enjoy it.

Nelson - where's my Peg????? :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will receive the bike this weekend, and today, I had contact with the Merckx factory about a repaint, the only team livery they do is the Molteni, so my choices are limited..
Thanks for the input, I will post pics after the build, or repaint is done.

Best, vlckx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.