Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a loooong time looking for a Merckx Corsa or Corsa Extra in my size, I finally took the plunge on a used frame that I've decided to repaint & refresh in the Molteni colors. She went to my painter a few weeks ago, and I'm anticipating the build.

I've accumulated most of the Super/Nuovo Record Components I need. I have a choice of Campy Victory Strada tubular rims, Ambrosio Synthesis, or Mavic Campion del Mundo Oro rims. I'm still debating on getting pedals with clips/toestraps, or just using my usual Campy pro-fit pedals I usually prefer.

I'm like the kid at the candy store. Any constructive comments & criticisms always welcome. I'm not looking for the ultimate in a period -correct, but enough to remind me of the friction shifting experience I started with in the 1980s when I started riding.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recognize that color. I built one for a friend once. Of course I test rode it first, you know, to make sure it was safe.

It was a long test ride.

It's a lovely bike. Enjoy.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Try to find a set of Simplex shift levers.
They shift a lot smoother than the Campagnolo's and they're period correct. I tried to load a photo but the file must be too large or something.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave Hickey said:
very nice...... who's doing the repaint?
Jeffrey Bock is a framebuilder/painter who lives about 90 miles from my home. My friend & LBS owner has known him over 20 yrs. He generally builds lugged steel touring & racing bikes. Not sure how many he builds in a year.

velodog said:
Try to find a set of Simplex shift levers.
They shift a lot smoother than the Campagnolo's and they're period correct. I tried to load a photo but the file must be too large or something.
Interesting choice. I may consider that after I've had a chance to live with this Campy friction stuff this season. Maybe the balky shifting is part of the experience, lol. I remember I had no problems with the friction shifters on Shimano 600 & Dura Ace AX series equiped bikes I owned. I still have one bike with DT friction shifters but I've rarely ridden it since switching to Ergo shifting in 1995.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Neat!

I like where you're going with this, but I'm a bit biased.

Here's a pic of my bike for a little motivation. It's my only road bike, and I ride it 3-4 times per week :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well Molteni is a great choice, no question. I would have left it as is, I like it, but if you have to paint, Molteni is a great choice. Plenty of Giordana Molteni jersies around, if you are into finishing the look. it will be a super build. Great bikes, Zmud's, one pictured above, are very fast, and climb well. Mine, not so much......must be the tubes.......

b21

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looks like you are off to a good start on collecting parts needed for the build. I too started riding in the mid '80s and I refused to go brifters (not even indexed) till early 2000. Now I have a box full of Nuovo/Super record parts that will eventually find its way onto another classic frame someday.
Molteni is my all time favorite paint scheme and I look forward to seeing your completed bike.

Here is my Molteni

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another nice bike zmudshark :D . The Faema livery was the other paintscheme I seriously considered. Who knows, there may be another Merckx in my future.

orbeamike & DS2112: great looking builds! Bikes like yours & on Ray Dobbins' site had been my inspiration that hasled me down this path & I can't wait to have my re-introduction to classic steel rides this season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good luck with the rebuild; it looks as though you're getting a great set of parts together there. I pulled my Corsa Molteni together over a period of about 6 months with almost totally NOS Campy Super Record and Cinelli from Ebay and CampyOldy.com. Once I got it out on the road I was amazed at what a great ride \ feel it had - it'll be well worth the wait I'm sure. :)

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The repaint is done!

Picked-up the frame this weekend from the painter. It was worth the wait :D . I'll post a seperate thread once the build is done. Despite having all the vintage Campy Record parts all ready and waiting, there is a voice in my head strongly campaigning for the Centaur 10-speed alloy group sitting in their boxes all ready to go. Who's going to win the arguement? I better sleep on this some more... we'll have to wait & see.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh very nice photo. You should should stick with the vintage route all the way through. You chose a very retro and recognizable finish and need to complete the package. What you need to do is find another one and paint it blue or something and outfit it with the modern bits. Have the best of both worlds.

brewster

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
stelvio1925 said:
Picked-up the frame this weekend from the painter. It was worth the wait :D . I'll post a seperate thread once the build is done. Despite having all the vintage Campy Record parts all ready and waiting, there is a voice in my head strongly campaigning for the Centaur 10-speed alloy group sitting in their boxes all ready to go. Who's going to win the arguement? I better sleep on this some more... we'll have to wait & see.
Excellent....boy is that pretty.......As long as you going with all alloy, 10 speed would look great

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
since you will be using a quill stem, all silver without a doubt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts