Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not as exciting as getting a NOS Merckx from South Africa, but I've finally had time to get the Merckx I bought last year out of mothballs. I still haven't given it a good cleaning, or done touch ups, but here it is anyway.

It has a full panto group, flat fork crown, and over the bb cabling. Mavic 280/330 combo Vittoria Corsa CX tires. It's a 1983, I believe.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Very sweet indeed......I'm still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger sight-unseen on a local Faema Merckx with alloy Chorus that sold on craigslist over the weekend.

Some day......at least now I have great pictures to use as a goal!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
zmudshark said:
This is not as exciting as getting a NOS Merckx from South Africa, but I've finally had time to get the Merckx I bought last year out of mothballs. I still haven't given it a good cleaning, or done touch ups, but here it is anyway.

It has a full panto group, flat fork crown, and over the bb cabling. Mavic 280/330 combo Vittoria Corsa CX tires. It's a 1983, I believe.

Oh oh oh Lordy Lordy, Zmud. I just peed myself.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
With those bars and the little buttons on the toe straps, that bike must have been owned by the coolest kid on the block. I found an old picture from a triathlon in 1983 when I was a hotshot cat 4, note the same buttons on my Binda extras and the totally cool Cinelli hairnet in white, which I latr topped off with a cap worn on the outside like Phil Anderson...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nickb4 said:
Gorgeous. From the pics you provided it doesn't seem to require too much touch-up work.
Not a ton of work, but I will probably strip it down and relube everything. It also came with a Merckx panto'ed stem on some 64-40 bars. I have an extra set of mounting hardware, and may swap out the bars, leaving the Cinelli stem and Crit bars with the cloth tape intact.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jroden said:
With those bars and the little buttons on the toe straps, that bike must have been owned by the coolest kid on the block. I found an old picture from a triathlon in 1983 when I was a hotshot cat 4, note the same buttons on my Binda extras and the totally cool Cinelli hairnet in white, which I latr topped off with a cap worn on the outside like Phil Anderson...
I remember when my dog chewed up my Cinelli hairnet. He was my dog, so I couldn't really be mad at him.

I was the slowest Cat 4 around in 1983!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rear cable does look a bit long in the photo, I'm not sure it was pulled through properly at the rear.. As the bike sits is how I received it last Fall, I'm just now getting to mess with it.

I put red housing on my other Faema, and may do that on this one as well.

I did ride it today (brakes worked fine), and I must say , I'm very impressed. My other Merckx's have sloping crowned forks, but are the Professional model. I'm not sure if it was the 280/330 Corsa CX combo, or the fork, or all the TI components, but this bike seems more responsive than the sloping crowned bike. I have a feeling the tires have a lot to do with it.

I just went to the garage, and checked the cables, yes the rear is long. I'll shorten it, maybe change to red, what do you Merckxamaniacs(tm pending) think? Red or Black?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
zmudshark said:
The rear cable does look a bit long in the photo, I'm not sure it was pulled through properly at the rear.. As the bike sits is how I received it last Fall, I'm just now getting to mess with it.

I put red housing on my other Faema, and may do that on this one as well.

I did ride it today (brakes worked fine), and I must say , I'm very impressed. My other Merckx's have sloping crowned forks, but are the Professional model. I'm not sure if it was the 280/330 Corsa CX combo, or the fork, or all the TI components, but this bike seems more responsive than the sloping crowned bike. I have a feeling the tires have a lot to do with it.

I just went to the garage, and checked the cables, yes the rear is long. I'll shorten it, maybe change to red, what do you Merckxamaniacs(tm pending) think? Red or Black?
I vote black. It doesn't need any more color, its freakin' PERFECT!!

b21

G

·
zMud,

Sorry just saw this.

Beautiful, which I guess is to be expected.

Absolutely lovely machine.

Can you take a pic of the rear der. / freewheel - please?

TMB

PS Black.

·
Registered
308 Posts
After viewing the photos of your rig, three words come to mind: classic, vintage & pristine. I noted columbus decal on ST.
Is it SL?
zmudshark said:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.