Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a steel merckx (leader, corsa, anything sweet and smooth), but I'm not sure what size will be most appropriate for me. I'm not so familiar with Merckx geometry. I'm 6'0", have a 34" inseam and ride a 54cm Klein Quantum Race and an old 1980s 56cm Trek steel racer 560. I am comfortable on both bikes. Both have a 56 c-c top tube length but have different handling and ride characteristics because of material and geometry...

What size Merckx should I be looking for? Have the geometries changed over the past few years? I'm asking only because I'm not sure how different Merckx geometry will be from the above bikes. (Yeah, I don't remember the angles on my bikes except the Klein is quick and nimble.)

Here's one that's currently on sale:

top tube (center to center): 55 cm
seat tube (center to center): 53 cm
seat tube (center to top): 55 cm
head tube: 12 cm

Too little for me?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
12 Posts
merckx steel sizing

i'm 6"1' 200 and 36 inseam. I have a 60 and 57 and the 57 fits like a glove. However i ride the 60 24/7/365 and only the 57 in the rain(lol). The bikes have a long top tube, and the seat tube have even more setback so ride one first before you buy.... i will go even smaller if i have the chance to get a 3rd one.
c-

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with this guy...

I have a 34" inseam (and by that I mean pants-buying inseam, not cycle-fitting-machine "inseam" or something), and the minimum seat tube I will ride is about 59 c-c.

At the extremes: I have a Merckx MXL in a largish size (62?--needed a tall headtube/minimum drop, complicated to explain), bottom line is my seatpost is not freakishly low and overall the bike fits well.

I do have a question--buy using a smaller frame with more setback on the post, and a longish stem, aren't you biasing the weight balance rearward even more, and slowing down your steering witht the stem?

tarwheel2 said:
Posted a response on Merckx forum. I think need should look for a 57 or 58 Merckx. You might get by with a 56 if you can handle a lot of drop to the handlebars, but a 55 would be way too small.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.