Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finding myself with 2 damaged frames I just picked up a never used Merckx MXM to ride while my steel frame is repaired.

The problem is that when the rear wheels are fully seated in the rear dropout, the tire rubs the frame under the brake bridge. It's a 25 tire. Lots of clearance on the front. If I don't seat it completely and put good pressure on the quick release, no rub of course, but I worry about the
wheel settling completely into the dropouts and rubbing again.

I've always completely seated mywheels before. Anyone else run into this?

Al

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not all 25c tires are equal, which could be the problem, as an example, a Michelin 25c is closer to most 28c tires. I have a Pinarello Prince, A Micheline 25c, while not rubbing in 'perfect' conditions, will rub in wet conditions (sand/dirt) or dirt (sand on roads in spring after winter) other 25 c tires don't. (Vittoria 25c tires are like other 23c tires)
Many European frames are designed around 'skinniest tire is the fastest' & do not always have clearance for 25c tires.
Working in a 'Pro'/ hi end shop & being 60, I've seen this many times over the years. . .

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Don't know the vintage of your MXM, but I have frames from the '80's and even '90's that were clearly built with 20 mm tires in mind (when that size was standard), and 23 mm are a tight fit. So the problem of using 25 mm tires (and they vary in true size tremendously), is no surprise.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
25's don't fit on my Merckx 01 Corsa, or my Colnago C-40

Frankly, I don't get the obsession with 25's on this board. 23 Contis are plenty big tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts