Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MING
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i do the work on a buddies bike, a merlin cielo (gorgeous bike). weve had a rainy winter in the pac nw, but i was kinda surprised when i went to look at a creaky bb and found ~2 cups of water and slurry in the bottom bracket. where is the water coming in? he has the stock real carbon post and a fizik airone any one have any ideas on how and how to fix?

thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same issue with a 2006 Vortex & also believe it is coming down the seat tube. My reaction was similar when servicing the bottom bracket and about 4 oz of water came out -even with the spindle. My new Archon has a hole predrilled in the bottom bracket for drainage. Some component manufacturers recommend drilling a hole for this purpose - I think it best to check after rainy weatheri do the work on a buddies bike, a merlin cielo (gorgeous bike). weve had a rainy winter in the pac nw, but i was kinda surprised when i went to look at a creaky bb and found ~2 cups of water and slurry in the bottom bracket. where is the water coming in? he has the stock real carbon post and a fizik airone any one have any ideas on how and how to fix?

thanks[/QUOTE]

·
Socrates
58 Posts
I have been told to take the bottom bracket out once a year and drain and clean. Could be condensation running down the seat tube when the bike is hanging up in a warm garage after use. Ti tubing has no way of letting the water out. Seems a little far fetched to me but I have been told that this is a possibility.

·
Registered
444 Posts
socrates said:
I have been told to take the bottom bracket out once a year and drain and clean. Could be condensation running down the seat tube when the bike is hanging up in a warm garage after use. Ti tubing has no way of letting the water out. Seems a little far fetched to me but I have been told that this is a possibility.
no way it's condensation. i am pretty sure it's water splashing up onto the bottom of the seat and down the seatpost.

i am considering squirting some of that 'great stuff' foam into my seatpost to prevent further water leaks.

i really should pull the BB to check it out...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.