Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing a Merlin Extralight frame.
Found a couple on ebay. Both look good, never built up.
One is 1998 one is 2005. The 1998 is a few hundred $$ less.
Have there been any significant advances in the 7 years with 3.2 ti
or other circumstances that would make the newer one a better choice?
Any thoughts (no flames) appreciated.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
If it was any other frame material, other than titanium, I'd be pushing for the 2005 model. I would imagine there have been some small changes between the 1998 and 2005 models, but I doubt you could tell the diference when you're riding down the road.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Check if the 98 is a 1" head tube.

From memory the older Extralights were a bit whippy and I suspect the 05 one will be larger diameter tubes & 1 1/8" headtube to boot. Are we talking several hundred extra or only 2-300? if it's the latter go for the 05.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about material difference, but there are at least 2 potentially significant tube size differences between '98 and '05:
The chainstays are beefier on the newer model, and the head tube is 1 1/8" now, not 1" as in '98.
That may or may not make a difference to you, depending on your size and riding.

Luckily, it looks like in '05 Merlin went away from an integrated head tube and back to standard.

The '05 will most likely be stiffer than the '98 (which was not considered very stiff, really).

Edit: oops, I see ultimobici posted while I was writing the same...except that 2-300 is "several" hundred, at least in my book.... ;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
someone else correct me--is the butting different?

i seem to remember reading somewhere that after they were bought they did less?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
- yes, 1998 is double-butted and 2005 is only single-butted. So the 2005 might be slightly heavier.
- shape is slightly different
- 1inch headset on the 1998, 1 1/8 on the 2005. I seriously doubt that anybody can tell a difference. For sure, I cannot tell, and I have both.
- Where did you find a 2005 ??? I've been on the lookout for one at a reasonable price.
- I've used a 1999 (same as 1998) for 10K miles, this is a kick-ass frame. Now I'm curious to try a 2005, slightly smaller.
- most likely the welds are not as nice on the 2005 as on the 1998. The welds on my 1999 X-light were much nicer than on my 2004 Cielo.

Pierre

jimcav said:
i seem to remember reading somewhere that after they were bought they did less?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ultimobici said:
Check if the 98 is a 1" head tube.

From memory the older Extralights were a bit whippy and I suspect the 05 one will be larger diameter tubes & 1 1/8" headtube to boot. Are we talking several hundred extra or only 2-300? if it's the latter go for the 05.
The seller lists his frame as having a 1 1/8" head tube and guessed that it was late 90's, perhaps '98. His price was $300 lower than the 2005 Merlin. Both were on ebay as of yesterday.

I appreciate all of your replys. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
FrankDL said:
The seller lists his frame as having a 1 1/8" head tube and guessed that it was late 90's, perhaps '98. His price was $300 lower than the 2005 Merlin. Both were on ebay as of yesterday.

I appreciate all of your replys. Thanks!
If one is 1 1/8" you will have a wider choice of forks and consequently be able to fit the newer lighter models that aren't even made in 1".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts