Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a slightly used Merlin Solis to upgrade from my Trek Pilot 2.1. I like my fit on my Trek and wanted to know if the Solis is similar enough to fit me. The Trek is aluminum with carbon fork and seat stays. The numbers look very similar to me but measurements between manufactures are so different I figured some of you experts out here could tell be if I am looking at a comparable sized bike. I am looking for a less rigid ride than my aluminum Trek can provide. We ride about 150 miles a week on rural SW Georgia roads and do the BRAG ride as well. Comfort on long rides is important. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty

Trek Pilot 2.1

Frame Size 54
Head angle 72.4
Seat Angle 73.8
EFF top tube 54.5
Chainstay 41.5
Bottom Braket 27.5
Offset 5.0
Wheelbase 99.5
Trail 5.6
Standover 75.0
Seat Tube 49.0
Head tube 14.0
Top Tube 51.9

Merlin Solis

Frame Size M
Virtual Size 53.5
Frame Size 45.8
Top Tube length 54.5
Head tube length 16.5
Head tube angle 72.0
Seat tube angle 73.0
Chainstay 42.0
Wheelbase 99.4
Standover 74.1
Front Center 58.7
BB drop 8.0
Fork rake 50.0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well thanks for all the helpful replies form the experts here on the forum. I got 2 replies from other sources both related to Merlin. One was a dealer, and I wasn't even buying the bike from him and the other was from the manufacture.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
helpful reply...

Here's a few differences. The BB height on the Trek is higher than nomal, if it's accurate. A 275mm height would only be a drop of 60mm from a 335mm tire. The Merlin has a larger than normal, 80mm drop.

The head tube length on the Solis is quite a bit taller and even more so if the frame uses a conventional (not integrated) headset. The low BB height effectively makes that long head tube 20mm taller, so you may have a problem getting the bars low enough.

The reach on the Solis is about 6mm shorter, due to the difference in the seat tube angle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks C40. I should have stated that the measurments were all in cm excect the angles. The Trek BB drop is listed at 27.5 cm and the Merlin at 8 cm. I agree this can't be right. It could be the different ways they measure it. The head tube is longer in the Merlin which I can deal with because I have 3 spacers under my Trek stem to get it up for me. I am not sure the type of headset the Merlin has. I know it has a Reynolds Ouzo Pro graphite fork and the steer tube has been left long for adjusting the height. I think it will be pretty close to my Trek frame size. Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would call myself a bicycle enthusiast who loves to ride but not an expert at frame design by any definition.

Like you, I think comfort is king. If I were you, I would go ride the full carbon Pilot, the Solis and maybe a Roubaix and see if you can actually tell a difference from your current Pilot. Then decide if upgrading is a good move for you. The geometry on the Solis doesn't look that different from the Pilot; however I can't comment on the ride of Ti as I have never saddled up on one. Several carbon Pilots in my weekly club ride and they all love them.

Yet another option, the one I am about to take the plunge on, is to get a custom frame with your current geometry. Of course that is probably your most $$ option but possibly will be your last bike...

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Syrupmaker said:
Thanks C40. I should have stated that the measurments were all in cm excect the angles. The Trek BB drop is listed at 27.5 cm and the Merlin at 8 cm. I agree this can't be right. It could be the different ways they measure it. The head tube is longer in the Merlin which I can deal with because I have 3 spacers under my Trek stem to get it up for me. I am not sure the type of headset the Merlin has. I know it has a Reynolds Ouzo Pro graphite fork and the steer tube has been left long for adjusting the height. I think it will be pretty close to my Trek frame size. Appreciate your help.
The 27.cm5 is not the drop, it the height from the ground. Like I said, take a 335mm radius tire, subtract 60mm and you get 275mm.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
drop..

Syrupmaker said:
Your right it is the distance form the ground. In the diagram on the Trek site it shows it as that but calls it drop. What actually is the drop?
Drop is the vertical distance from the center of the wheel's axle to the center of the BB. It is the proper way to define a frame. BB height can vary depending on what size tire is used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.