Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,808 Posts
rp709 said:
I bought a Merline Cyrene titanium frame. I plan to use Campy Record. Does anyone have this frame and can comment on cranksets and bottom brackets as well as Campy driveline for this frame?
Merlin with Record, sounds like a spare no expense deal. Go with a Phil BB and some fancy Italian carbon cranks - maybe Record. What wheelset are you planning?

Definately want a ride report after a couple hundred miles. Been thinking about a Merlin myself - for years.

· Registered
359 Posts
rp709 said:
I am unsure about a wheel set and hope for recommendations. I have been thinking about the Mavic Ksyrium but have heard they need frequent servicing. I don't want that. Ron
Mavic Ksyrium are the most popular high line wheels in the industry - by far. You will read more negatives about them than any other wheel for that very reason. However, don't read too much about it. If they need frequent servicing (mine don't) they are likely being abused in some manner. They are outstanding wheels. I really like the Topolino AC29 wheels as well. Also outstanding but hard to service. The best value is probably hand built wheels made by Garcia or one of the other custom builders. I have a pair of Garcias that are also excellent.

Make your bike all Record. Go for the Record BB and the Record carbon crankset. They are really nice products. You can see my Ti bike decked out with just what I recommend - It is the third build on this frame so I've tried lots of things.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Classic Look

A nice classic looking bike. My Cyrene is the last one before the engraving of all logos and I run the last of the Chorus components before they went to carbon.

Chours cranks and bottom bracket are still running great. Chainline is good and I can use all 10 cogs in both the big ring and small ring without any rubbing. Obviously I do not crosschain when I ride but to me that indicated the chainline is well centered. Just installed the newer carbon Chorus cranks and Chorus bottom bracket on my wifes bike. A very sweet looking crankset.

For wheels might I recommend a set of traditional handbuilts by a good builder. They just look nice on the bike and keeps folks eyes focused on the frame rather than being distracted by the wheels. If you want to stick with Campy then get them built with Record hubs and Open Pros. If you want something a bit lighter and more exotic go with the DT Swiss hubs and rims which look great on my wifes bike.

If you want the Ksyriums go with them. We have a couple of pair in the house and they have been bullet proof even after my son riding them for a season racing. Only one rear has a little wobble to it but nothing that even rubs the pads.

This is a great ride and you should enjoy many happy miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.