Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey cx, you must be hurting.

There hasn't been a post or reply in the components/wrenching section for over 10 days. And I hear the Bike Mechanics subforum in the other forum is dead right now. :)
So all I can do is give you my latest wrenching woes which thankfully got resolved to my personal benefit.

I wanted to replace my Ultegra 50/34 crank on my gravel bike (di2) with 48/31 GRX. I need three fewer teeth up front. I also got the front derailleur to GRX, because from what I understand it has a different throw or offest. Put the stuff together, FD doesn't work. We update each component individually thru eTube, Turns out the battery (old BTR type) was incompatable with the new derailleur. Ordered a new battery and all is good.

Sorry, that's the best holiday story I have for you, it's as much di2 as mechanical, and I don't think I need advice on this. But this subforum has been dead. Any comments from the peanut gallery are welcome.

Hey Lombard: di2 is still way worth it, I've been running this for over eight years on this bike.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
Hey Lombard: di2 is still way worth it, I've been running this for over eight years on this bike.
LOL! One of these days. Maybe if my SRAM Force 22 doesn't work out, though after working out its bugs, it's been flawless. (y)

There hasn't been a post or reply in the components/wrenching section for over 10 days. And I hear the Bike Mechanics subforum in the other forum is dead right now. :)
Are you a member over there? It looks like @cxwrench was perma-banned on the Bike Mechanics subforum over there which I think is pretty severe. Mods won't even discuss it. It's like the Gestapo. The opposite extreme of here.

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,966 Posts
Glad it works now! Yeah, I'm pretty much banned from the mechanics section forever I think. I messaged the head power tripper...errmmm, moderator and she replied with a very long message saying that while I'm very helpful at times I say too many hurtful things to their sensitive members therefore they can't risk having me around. So I haven't been on that forum since. Maybe we can get this place more popular again.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
Glad it works now! Yeah, I'm pretty much banned from the mechanics section forever I think. I messaged the head power tripper...errmmm, moderator and she replied with a very long message saying that while I'm very helpful at times I say too many hurtful things to their sensitive members therefore they can't risk having me around. So I haven't been on that forum since. Maybe we can get this place more popular again.
That's crazy. Never heard of a perma-ban for first time infraction. Don't know what purpose it serves to ban someone from just one subfourm. Note that all the regulars post in General when they want a mechanical question answered. Yeeesh, I wonder why that might be. :rolleyes:

· Registered
21,868 Posts
I never saw a post from you that warranted a ban. Sure, you called out some nonsense and as the saying goes "could have been more sensitive" but in the words of my cycling mentor (Gene Portuesi) those of you who think you know everything are a real pain in the neck to those of us who do!

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
I never saw a post from you that warranted a ban. Sure, you called out some nonsense and as the saying goes "could have been more sensitive" but in the words of my cycling mentor (Gene Portuesi) those of you who think you know everything are a real pain in the neck to those of us who do!
Not to mention it gets really old when someone asks for advice or rather confirmation that he's doing the right thing. When he doesn't get the confirmation he's looking for, he gets bent out of shape.

To be clear, @cxwrench can be heavy handed, but I've never known him to not give helpful advice with one hand even if he's harsh with the other hand. There are others here who are much worse and are never called out for it.

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,966 Posts
Apparently there were a lot of snowflakes that complained about me. According to her it happened a lot and they just can't risk that happening again. Makes no sense to just ban me from the one section, what's stopping me from doing the same thing (for a short time) in other sections? I guess it's just her power tripping and exerting her control. I almost feel like copying the email here, I asked when I'd get my access to that section back. One sentence. She went on and on and on and never said 'you're perma-banned'.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find it ludicrous that they banned you from one section, and that's where you contribute the most. It's not like they banned you from the recumbent subforum.

That said, on the opposite side of the coin, I recently blew up on this thread that got locked pretty quick.

What's Next?

Another new joiner to this forum that we'll never see again. So there has to be a balance.

Like Kerry said, I didn't see anything you said to warrant a powertrip.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
I find it ludicrous that they banned you from one section, and that's where you contribute the most. It's not like they banned you from the recumbent subforum.

That said, on the opposite side of the coin, I recently blew up on this thread that got locked pretty quick.

What's Next?

Another new joiner to this forum that we'll never see again. So there has to be a balance.

Like Kerry said, I didn't see anything you said to warrant a powertrip.
And note that @cxwrench was never even a part of that thread. There were two other members who IMO are way more abusive and contribute nothing.

Reactions: Dinosaur

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
I was referring to the BF forums. As Kerry said, there was nothing outside of cx's sometimes crusty toughlove.
"Crusty tough love" is a good way to describe @cxwrench 's style. Though for those that don't know him, it can be easy to take him the wrong way.

It bears repeating that in the What's Next? thread where you "blew up", @cxwrench wasn't involved in that thread at all. There are others here who are much worse and at the same time don't contribute anything to the discussion.

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Apparently there were a lot of snowflakes that complained about me. According to her it happened a lot and they just can't risk that happening again. Makes no sense to just ban me from the one section, what's stopping me from doing the same thing (for a short time) in other sections? I guess it's just her power tripping and exerting her control. I almost feel like copying the email here, I asked when I'd get my access to that section back. One sentence. She went on and on and on and never said 'you're perma-banned'.
FYI I posted a thread to discuss this issue and they promptly deleted it. Oh well.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
It must be stemming from the deficiency of it while they were growing up, as I've been told.
More like that they are powerless in all other parts of their life.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty heavy handed. They love their power and like to use it.
I guarantee you one thing. No Time Toulouse would have been gone in a NY second over there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts