Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent a weekend in Mesquite visiting my granddaughter and was able to walk through a beautiful local park with a very pretty little lake. Lots of grass and small hills. The road running past it was Northwest rdwy and there was a paceline of about 8 or 10 cyclists went by at speed. One was a smaller rider on a smaller bike rolling right along with the big boys, pretty cool looking they were. When I saw them I wondered if any members here were on that line?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Went through there about this time last year, and I have a vague memory of the park, where I think we stopped to walk around for a few minutes. Really nice area.
If I were rich and famous and 20 years younger, though, I'd move to Austin, if it were 20 years younger, too. Couldn't believe how they've homogenized and pasteurized that place.

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cory said:
Went through there about this time last year, and I have a vague memory of the park, where I think we stopped to walk around for a few minutes. Really nice area.
If I were rich and famous and 20 years younger, though, I'd move to Austin, if it were 20 years younger, too. Couldn't believe how they've homogenized and pasteurized that place.
I spent some time in Austin a couple of months ago and I didn't really like it all that much. Streets too narrow and congested. Lots of bicycles but it would scare me to death to ride there. I'd move to Dallas in a heartbeat if it were possible but it's too late in my life for an uprooting, I just couldn't afford it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Austin has definitely changed....

but still WAY MORE friendly to cyclists than Dallas. Having said that, though, certain areas of Austin are disaster zones for cyclists. Most of the primary routes have HUGE shoulders (360-Capitol of Texas, 620, N.Parmer-Ronald Reagan Pkwy.) and tons of bike lanes. Most drivers here seem relatively cognizant and somewhat tolerant of cyclists.

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
El Guapo said:
but still WAY MORE friendly to cyclists than Dallas. Having said that, though, certain areas of Austin are disaster zones for cyclists. Most of the primary routes have HUGE shoulders (360-Capitol of Texas, 620, N.Parmer-Ronald Reagan Pkwy.) and tons of bike lanes. Most drivers here seem relatively cognizant and somewhat tolerant of cyclists.
I didn't really see much, just downtown area and when I talk about Dallas I am in the Garland Mesquite area where my kids have lived. I like all the activities in Dallas, mostly Rangers baseball (which is going pretty well as we speak)

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Snakebit said:
I didn't really see much, just downtown area and when I talk about Dallas I am in the Garland Mesquite area where my kids have lived. I like all the activities in Dallas, mostly Rangers baseball (which is going pretty well as we speak)
In that area, take a look at Frisco. Further from the maddening crush of people, and has the nice little bonus of a [email protected] velodrome.

·
Registered
420 Posts
gotcha...

Snakebit said:
Gotcha. Yeah, that area of the Dallas Metroplex is not so bad. My "better half's" parental units live outside Princeton (10 miles east of McKinney). Personally, I LOVE riding up there. We can go out for hours on just country roads and see very few vehicles. Having said that, though....I thought Austin could get windy...nothing like North Dallas.

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
El Guapo said:
Gotcha. Yeah, that area of the Dallas Metroplex is not so bad. My "better half's" parental units live outside Princeton (10 miles east of McKinney). Personally, I LOVE riding up there. We can go out for hours on just country roads and see very few vehicles. Having said that, though....I thought Austin could get windy...nothing like North Dallas.
Wind is my constant companion in West Texas. I've been off the bike for about three years now and I really want to get back to it this year but 20 mph winds are a real discouraging factor. Used to just gear down and grind on the way home, mindless pedaling was the only way to survive. I'll start out on city streets and riding the local college circle at first but I get bored easily. Used to jog and couldn't do that on a track either. I envy East Texans, both Dallas and Austin areas. Some beautiful rides really close by for you guys. I once drove about 150 miles round trip just to ride on a real hill down at Iraan. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not far from Mesquite is White Rock Lake. Its 9.3 miles of bike and jogger trails that hug the shoreline of the Lake. It is absoutely beautiful and it couldn't be safer.

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cowboyway said:
Not far from Mesquite is White Rock Lake. Its 9.3 miles of bike and jogger trails that hug the shoreline of the Lake. It is absoutely beautiful and it couldn't be safer.
I'll have to take my bike up there with me this year, that sounds great.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Snakebit said:
I just spent a weekend in Mesquite visiting my granddaughter and was able to walk through a beautiful local park with a very pretty little lake. Lots of grass and small hills. The road running past it was Northwest rdwy and there was a paceline of about 8 or 10 cyclists went by at speed. One was a smaller rider on a smaller bike rolling right along with the big boys, pretty cool looking they were. When I saw them I wondered if any members here were on that line?
While it is growing daily, Mesquite is still one of those places that you can head east in be in country pretty quick...I don't get over to that side of town very much but I love riding over there when I do

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Snakebit said:
You probably saw one of the worlds, and the super fast woman rider that rides with them. She must ride a 46cm bike on 650s. She's omnipresent at the lake, the hills. I don't think she stops riding ever and no group of guys can drop her. I've been in some rides with her, but never got up the courage to figure out if she's some sort of pro.

·
Registered
69,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
culdeus said:
You probably saw one of the worlds, and the super fast woman rider that rides with them. She must ride a 46cm bike on 650s. She's omnipresent at the lake, the hills. I don't think she stops riding ever and no group of guys can drop her. I've been in some rides with her, but never got up the courage to figure out if she's some sort of pro.
That sounds like the bike and she, if it was her, was not struggling. They were going at a quick pace and she was about mid way working her way up.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Snakebit said:
That sounds like the bike and she, if it was her, was not struggling. They were going at a quick pace and she was about mid way working her way up.
I think she usually rides custom ti (seven I think) with zipps. Though I've seen her on a blue bike before as well of unknown origin. Like I said she's constantly out there on the road if you ride in Dallas proper enough it's impossible not to see her.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts