Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice: I thoroughly enjoy participating in the bike lounge... its completely social for me- I admit I can't talk "shop" and I really don't care to talk shop. I have a built in shop guy- he's my go to.

So, here's my quesion: For a profession, the product I deal with day in and day out are doors, and I have found another forum that seems like a nice little community (more related to my industry) like ours. I am eager to jump in and offer any kind of advice regarding doors, and frankly, put bread on the table, but I don't want to sound like a door to door salesperson. I know what I'm talking about, where to go to get whatever it is needed and I enjoy helping folks find a solution.

I know there are bike related vendor reps and industry folks in our forum, so I'm calling you out, or anyone who wants to offer advice here. What's ettiquette? How can I be helpful without being overbearing? Is it perceived to be an intrusion if a vendor particiaptes in an industry related forum?... Mods?.. your thoughts?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Without doors to fill the holes in the walls, my house would be full of skunks, bugs, bats and Guinea Hens.

A wise mathematics professor once told me that the three most important people in the world were the engineer who brings the water in, the engineer who takes the poop away and the wife of the guy in the bike forum who makes doors.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
it's possible that the forum may have their own rules. i suggest PM'ing a mod there and asking. i'm sure they'd like your insight, but you may need some sort of disclaimer or something like that.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
If it makes you feel funny, a little disclosure doesn't hurt. When I plug any bikes we sell, I let people know that I sell them. It sheds a little light on why I know the things I know and where the comment is coming from. If you're representing a business, put it all out front. There are a few brand reps on the boards here and they put everything out front but much of what they post is either information or advice supporting their product rather than selling it. Some boards don't like when you try to sell stuff, so tread lightly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
terry b said:
Without doors to fill the holes in the walls, my house would be full of skunks, bugs, bats and Guinea Hens.

A wise mathematics professor once told me that the three most important people in the world were the engineer who brings the water in, the engineer who takes the poop away and the wife of the guy in the bike forum who makes doors.

You're such a charmer...:)
well played!

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
And here I thought you might be posing a more pressing message board question such as which way is the proper way posting from bed...laying on top of the comforter or kinda tucked in under the sheets?

/Yes, the Tcon's are perusing RBR while laying in bed with two different laptops.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
terry b said:

She also left off the part about me actually being the go to guy for her bike. Some gratitude for building her a new wheel this past weekend, huh? :mad2: :D

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
tconrady said:
And here I thought you might be posing a more pressing message board question such as which way is the proper way posting from bed...laying on top of the comforter or kinda tucked in under the sheets?

/Yes, the Tcon's are perusing RBR while laying in bed with two different laptops.
shouldn't you be giving her a neck massage and reading over her shoulders?:idea:

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
tconrady said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
tomk96 said:
shouldn't you be giving her a neck massage and reading over her shoulders?:idea:
No that's tomorrow after her ride. I desperately need a leg massage after the first local group hammerfest of the year we had tonight.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i was just going to suggest that you construct a persona as a male or female model (depending on your mood) and make suggestive comments about wood and knobs...but ymmv

you could also make other "typos"

portal = porthole
dead bolt = limp bolt
key hole = corn hole
triple hinge = swinging threesome
etc etc

this would all be "helpful" but probably not in the way you are after....

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
mrs tcon said:
I need some advice: I thoroughly enjoy participating in the bike lounge... its completely social for me- I admit I can't talk "shop" and I really don't care to talk shop. I have a built in shop guy- he's my go to.

So, here's my quesion: For a profession, the product I deal with day in and day out are doors, and I have found another forum that seems like a nice little community (more related to my industry) like ours. I am eager to jump in and offer any kind of advice regarding doors, and frankly, put bread on the table, but I don't want to sound like a door to door salesperson. I know what I'm talking about, where to go to get whatever it is needed and I enjoy helping folks find a solution.

I know there are bike related vendor reps and industry folks in our forum, so I'm calling you out, or anyone who wants to offer advice here. What's ettiquette? How can I be helpful without being overbearing? Is it perceived to be an intrusion if a vendor particiaptes in an industry related forum?... Mods?.. your thoughts?

You definitely do NOT want to do <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0">this....</a>

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Are Italian doors better than Japanese doors?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ampastoral said:
i was just going to suggest that you construct a persona as a male or female model (depending on your mood) and make suggestive comments about wood and knobs...but ymmv

you could also make other "typos"

portal = porthole
dead bolt = limp bolt
key hole = corn hole
triple hinge = swinging threesome
etc etc

this would all be "helpful" but probably not in the way you are after....
LOL!!!!... oh, and don't forget BEETS!..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts