Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the components forum, but have not gotten any responses that have to do with the issue; only the recall.

My FSA compact crank has a recall on it. Something is tightened too tight and causes the spindle to crack.

I noticed an issue with the crank right before I received the e-mail from FSA. When I put significant pressure on the pedals (going up hill or sprinting), there is a huge clunk and the crank feels like it skips forward 1/4 to 1/2 or revolution and then catches again. I don't know if skipping is the right term for it. It seems like it would almost be like if two gears were just barley meshing and if you put pressure on them they would un-mesh/skip and then catch again. It does this over and over, not just once and a while.

I don't know if it has something to do with the recall, or not. I plan on telling them about it when I take it in to get the recall fixed (whenever that is. -Going on 2.5 weeks) and seeing what they say, but any help now would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Sounds like the pawls skipping in the freewheel. Those need regular maintenance to prevent that. I doubt it's the crank. The only other solution could be the chain skipping on the cogs in the back due to an extremely worn out chain.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had this problem with my crank (not an FSA), and after a lot of google searching and forum reading, I found that loosening and re-tightening the non-drive arm multiple times helped with the situation. Apparently this helps with getting the crank snug enough.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
IIRC that recall is due to the crank bolt being over tightened during assembly causing the crank arm to crack and fall off the spindle. DO NOT ride that bike until it's been fixed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frdfandc,

You mention my recall several times. I obviously know what I need to do there...I can read an e-mail.

What you didn't do however, is offer help to my actual question about what the clunking is (if i should mention it when i go in to get the crank fixed). All you did was keep stating what the recall was and say the cluck/skipping is a different issue.. Thank you for that, but I got it the first time. I would rather get more opinions of people to get down to what it specifically is and get it fixed it all at one time so that I can get back on my bike after what looks like is going to be 3 or more weeks off ( they haven't even e-mailed me with a solution yet). Surely you can understand that.

Seriously, thank you for your help on the recall info, but the first two responses were a lot more helpful than yours calling me "dense"

Sorry for being an inconvenience and nuisance to your life....

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
frdfandc said:
Its probably a different issue. If the crank was skipping, the arm would be in a different position than the normal 180 degrees opposite of the drive side crank arm..
I saw this on the other post. As per my post, I agree. And yes, if there is a serious safety issue, you shouldn't ride the bike. If it were me, I'd be thanking frdfandc for being concerned about my safety.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peanya said:
I saw this on the other post. As per my post, I agree. And yes, if there is a serious safety issue, you shouldn't ride the bike. If it were me, I'd be thanking frdfandc for being concerned about my safety.

I am very thankful for whoever is concerned for my safety... That being said, the e-mail did mention in rather large printing not to ride the bike. I took it out for a 50 yard ride to see if the bb still skipped. Thats it.

And I did thank frdfandc for helping me with the RECALL INFO... However, calling me "dense instead of providing helpful info as to information not concerned in the recall is not very helpful. frdfandc did tell me that the skipping was a different issue. I would like to know what that issue might be. I have searched for a few days on google, and all i can come up with are loose pedals... Which is not the problem.

frdfandc keeps telling me just to take into my LBS... Which is pretty obvious except that FSA hasn't told me what they are going to do for the recall yet... However, when I do take it into my LBS I would like to be able to explain to them fairly accurately what is happening so that I'm not just telling them that something feels like it is skipping in the bb area, and I can get it fixed all at one time. It wouldn't make any sense at all to bring it to them now, so that is not a helpful answer at this point.

I'm really not trying to be annoying, or disregard your responses to my other post, but this is a different issue. I just want to get back on my bike as soon as possible. And knowing as best I can about what is going on with the clunking is the best way to get back on my bike. I don't need to worry about the recall, FSA will come up with a solution to that for me. So now I will focus on the clunking...

Helpful responses are very much appreciated

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Without seeing your bike, it's difficult to know for certain what's causing the skipping, but assuming that it's a new bike with relatively low mileage, it's very likely to be resolved simply by adjusting cable tension.

With any new drivetrain set up there's a period of time when the cables settle into their positions (curve through housings/ BB guide, etc.) and a couple of 1/4 turns (counter clockwise) of the barrel adjusters generally fixes this type of shifting issue.

When you bring the bike in for the recall, just explain what you've outlined here and any reasonably competent mechanic will recognize (and fix) the problem.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Nick09 said:
However, when I do take it into my LBS I would like to be able to explain to them fairly accurately what is happening so that I'm not just telling them that something feels like it is skipping in the bb area, and I can get it fixed all at one time. It wouldn't make any sense at all to bring it to them now, so that is not a helpful answer at this point.
With all due respect, your reluctance to take it to the LBS right now is a bit off-putting. It would, in fact, make a lot of sense to bring the bike to the LBS right now. Your puzzling need to "explain to them fairly accurately what is happening" has, IMO, clouded your better judgement. Or you're just trolling, which I hope you're not.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The recall needs to be taken care of first before any other issue can be addressed. If the crank arm is the cause of the skipping, then it needs to be fixed first Hence the repetitive replys of telling you to take it your LBS.

Have them fix the known problem first (the recall), then address other issues, since it could possibly be drive train related.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts