Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
fifth time's a charm
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going for something a bit different. I give you the Israeli paratrooper's bag, 20bucks shipped. Years ago Banana Republic sold these, back when they published a really cool catalog. I always wanted one, and now should get mine in the mail today.:D

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
OMG! that thing got me through junior high , high school, and a year of college. awesome pockets, nice pencil/pan holders. just beware of the strap hooks. they have a tendency to pop out and snag on things.

thats back when banana republic was affordable and had good quality stuff. the catalogs werent even pictures back then, just drawings. like the old sierratradingpost. i remember ordering that by writing out the order form in the catalog, writing a check, sending it in, and waiting a month.

where did you get it? i might need to score one to feel all nice and warm again.

rkb said:
Going for something a bit different. I give you the Israeli paratrooper's bag, 20bucks shipped. Years ago Banana Republic sold these, back when they published a really cool catalog. I always wanted one, and now should get mine in the mail today.:D

·
fifth time's a charm
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that it was back when the BR catalogs had cool stories about the products. Got mine on ebay .

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Saddleback Leather Company. Messenger bag (Dark Coffee Brown). Handmade, THICK full-grain (not split) saddle leather, converts to backpack, will last a lifetime. Fantastic warranty.

Pricey... OK, VERY pricey. Obscenely pricey. But you'll never have to buy another one.

<a href="http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/81-Messenger/products/1653-Leather-Messenger-Dark-Coffee-Brown"><b>Click HERE.</b></a>

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Saddleback Leather Company. Messenger bag (Dark Coffee Brown). Handmade, THICK full-grain (not split) saddle leather, converts to backpack, will last a lifetime. Fantastic warranty.

Pricey... OK, VERY pricey. Obscenely pricey. But you'll never have to buy another one.

<a href="http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/81-Messenger/products/1653-Leather-Messenger-Dark-Coffee-Brown"><b>Click HERE.</b></a>
Brooks has a messenger bag but it too is pricey.....I've been tempted....

RKB, that is too cool and you cannot beat the price

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Brooks has a messenger bag but it too is pricey.....I've been tempted....

RKB, that is too cool and you cannot beat the price
Yeah, the Brooks bag costs more than the Saddleback, and it's waxed CANVAS, for chrissake! Checked it out pretty closely at the Brooks booth this weekend. It is a beautiful bag, though... Nah, one overpriced bag is probably enough. Might be something to put on the wish list for Santa.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should get it today, I'll post more pics and give an initial review.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
rkb said:
Decent bag, smallish, functional. They're all over the place at surplus stores, $13-25. Teh google provides plenty of wheres.

Unless the entire Israeli population is/was in the paratroop corps, I'm thinking these might possibly be replicas / stylized fakes. Not that it matters.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
the snaps used to really hold, so be careful when you try to unsnap flaps. i ended up just never snapping them, or leaving one snapped and the other unsnapped.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
danl1Unless the entire Israeli population is/was in the paratroop corps said:
possibly [/I]be replicas / stylized fakes. Not that it matters.
That is what I was thinking, but real or replica it should work fine. Unless the canvas is cheap thin crap. We'll see later today hopefully.

R

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
weltyed said:
oh, the memories i have of that thing...
under $20 when i used the googlz.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
weltyed said:
OMG! the catalogs werent even pictures back then, just drawings. like the old sierratradingpost.
If you like this style of catalog then Campmor will fill your need. Printed on bad news stock to boot. I don't care what they print it on but drawings are lame. Pretty tough to tell what you're getting from a drawing. Never did like Banana Republic either. Not because of their merchandise but because of their name. Always seemed kind of disrespectful.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I like these, although their price is outrageous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts