Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need something large enough to put a couple bags of groceries in along with maybe a yoga mat. Where I live cyclists seem to use backpacks more than messenger bags. What do you guys & gals recommend? Messenger bag or backpack?

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
I use both depending on load I'm carrying as well as weather. The backpack is for bulkier items that would weigh down the messenger bag uncomfortably on one shoulder. I usually use the messenger bag with a laptop, and some books, thats about as much weigh I want flapping around. The downside of the backpack is that in hot weather it covers up your back retains heat and sweat, where the messenger back rides low & to the side so you get some breathability on your back.

Fot light groceries a messenger would work, but if I had to hall glass cars, canned items, I'm just as soon have a backpack that I could cinch down tight to my shoulders.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
search

il sogno said:
I need something large enough to put a couple bags of groceries in along with maybe a yoga mat. Where I live cyclists seem to use backpacks more than messenger bags. What do you guys & gals recommend? Messenger bag or backpack?
you can find some previous threads on this topic using the "advanced" search option. here's one:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=45827

for "a couple bags of groceries" you might want a rear rack? My Chrome bag is good for about one really full paper bag from the market.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Messenger bag or pannier for me.

My messenger bag has a front strap that keeps it from flopping around no matter what I put in it. The messenger bag is way more comfortable than the back pack which stopped using since I got a $40.00 utility bike with a rear rack and then got a grocery bag pannier for xmas. That back pack sitting on my shoulders felt twice as heavy with the same load.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hollywood said:
you can find some previous threads on this topic using the "advanced" search option. here's one:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=45827

for "a couple bags of groceries" you might want a rear rack? My Chrome bag is good for about one really full paper bag from the market.
I want to use my old Pogliaghi for these trips. It's an early 80's road bike with Campy Super Record and I don't want to put a rack on it.

Thanks for the link. I will check out the thread.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've found my Chrome backbone to be very nice. Granted, it is large, and my back does get quite sweaty when riding with it on, but the load stays nicely balanced on my back. I am a student, so the bag has been called upon to carry papers, books, clothes, food and other stuff, with loads as heavy as ~30 lbs. 30 lbs. wasn't uncomfortable in the bag, though it sure weighed me down when riding.

Previously, I used a Timbuk2 messenger bag, size large, and I found that the messenger bag would move around on my back too much, and it also made one shoulder quite sore if I had a heavy load. I know others have posted on this forum about nicer options for messenger bags (e.g., Chrome), but I am unable to make that comparison.

I hope this helps.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I've got a metropolis and I love it. I generally commute to school/work and can fit plenty of books along with my folders,change of clothes (pants, shoes, boxers, shirt, jacket), lunch, and one of those big things of water from Trader Joes. the thing must weigh a good 30+ lbs, but it gets the job done, and at 6'4'' and well over 200 #'s it isn't that dificult to handle. For a smaller person not looking to arrive at their location a sweaty mess with a crooked shoulder, I might recommend panniers. I may make the move to panniers this summer just so i don't have that heater on my back during my rides.

joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got this one from Nashbar. I think it was $45.00 plus 10% off when I got it. So far so good. Pretty bombproof and it's expandable so you can load it up and the best part for me is it's got nice honking reflector strips and a mount for a blinkie for my night time commuting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.