Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was kind of surprising so I figured I'd share.

During lunch today, I drove out to a flat stretch of road to do a TT test. I parked along the side of the road. A few moments after parking my car, a rider came by and we exchanged waves and hellos. I got my stuff together and started my ride going in the same direction as he. After a few minutes I find him at the side of the road changing a flat. I stop to make sure he's got what he needs. He turned towards me and says, "You must be BiknBen". Needless to say I was a bit surprised. We had never met.

We exchange pleasantries for a few minutes and I continue on my way. It's now the 3rd time I'm been recognized by a stranger while riding. The other times were at races which weren't surprising. This time it struck me as strange. It's either the funky bar wrap or the HammerGel jacket that I keep wearing.

Anyway, Jim, it was a pleasure meeting you. I hope the rest of your ride was flat free. I wasn't able to remember your screen name so drop me a line. I ride through your neck of the woods quite a bit.

Biknben

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is quite funny, as I spied someone riding a black surly with red and black bar tape on Franklin Crossing Road the other morning. Who might that have been? I was commuting on Rte 206.

Biknben, you're famous.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that is funny...

maddog said:
This is quite funny, as I spied someone riding a black surly with red and black bar tape on Franklin Crossing Road the other morning. Who might that have been? I was commuting on Rte 206.

Biknben, you're famous.
It is indeed a small world.

Did I look fast...or just cold??? It was nice Monday but yesterday I skimped on some layers and froze.

Glad to see you're still around. We should also get together for a ride soon.

Biknben

·
Registered
150 Posts
That was I...

...broken down on the side of Rt 29. Thanks for stopping and offering assistance.

That I recognized you must speak to your rising celebrity status on this board (though I probably wouldn't recognize you without your helmet and balaclava)! Thanks for all the posts and entertaining ride reports; now I guess I have to flat within 150 miles of DC for a good chance to meet our MB1/Miss M.

Good luck racing this weekend, and have fun.

Jim

·
Miggity Mac Daddy
51 Posts
I miss that area

I grew up in lawrenceville and have been riding there for the past 5 years or so. I am in NYC and only ride when I come home though. I usually go up towards hopewell where there are some hills and flats. Northeast of L'ville, the roads get a little crowded so I dont really go by/on franklin cr. road.

Needless to say, I miss riding in that area. It is less crowded than the city (what isn't?) but there also such a good mix of terrain. No terribly high hills but if you hop over to PA you get some pretty steep stuff.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the spot...

Spiderman said:
I grew up in lawrenceville and have been riding there for the past 5 years or so. I am in NYC and only ride when I come home though. I usually go up towards hopewell where there are some hills and flats. Northeast of L'ville, the roads get a little crowded so I dont really go by/on franklin cr. road.

Needless to say, I miss riding in that area. It is less crowded than the city (what isn't?) but there also such a good mix of terrain. No terribly high hills but if you hop over to PA you get some pretty steep stuff.
I live in Robbinsville. I commute through L'ville to Pennington. I often ride through that area and/or Princeton to get to the Sourland Mtns. When I'm in the mood for a flat ride, I just head east and ride the farmlands around Freehold.

biknben

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
We all need rbr.com helmet stickers or something

So we can identify each other on the roads. I ride at White Rock Lake in Dallas a lot and often see guys that have described themselves and their bike. I've haven't talked to any of them yet, though.

I bet I could pick Dave Hickey out of a peleton though. He'll be the only guy on a SS Look with a full beard :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.