Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all....thought i'd share a fun experience from this past weekend. My LBS is sponsoring a charity ride next weekend, and as a kickoff event flew in Bob Roll for a private dinner and ride. The event was a dinner, silent auction and Bobke presentation on Friday with a short ride on Saturday and plenty of photo ops.
Bobke talked for maybe an hour, plenty of outrageous stories (getting pulled over here in Texas back in the day, getting pulled over with Phil Liggett, getting drunk at Interbike and waking up naked at a bus stop with a midget mariachi band). Very entertaining, got my copy of Bobke 2 autographed and some pictures,...evening was capped off with "monkey-bike" races (those little bikes like clowns ride).
Bobke dominated, of course.
One thing i was a little surprised at- Bobke is in very good shape. i never picked up on it from the TV stuff, where he seems a bit pudgy, but believe me, he is lean and mean. He took off with the racerboys on the Saturday ride and stayed with 'em. But he did stop at the last turn and greet every rider as they came in, a very nice touch IMO.
Anyways, a very good time. Bob was open and gracious with everyone and seemed to have a good time himself.
p.s. he now has a website, www.bobroll.com, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the ride was short, maybe 15 miles. if you're from San Antonio- we left the Froum and went up Lookout Rd. slowly for photo ops, then out Nacogdoches to 482, right to I35 and back down the service rd. to the Forum.
Bob was on a Colnago from the shop, not sure of the model but it was black, carbon with some carbon flat top bars. you've probably seen it if you've been in the shop.

p.s. just got the e-mail, pictures are here: www.backprint.com/noun
lots of good stuff, including my picture with Bobke, but i can't tell you which one i am :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've only seen Bob Roll on 3 occasions - 2 Interbikes and once at a Colorado bar. I was each time impressed with his gregarious personality and his willingness to talk with just about everyone who wanted to meet or speak with him. Seems to be 100% genuine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
He was in Cleveland

I saw Bob at Century Cycles (they have photos on their website) in Cleveland a few months back. One of the mechanics won a visit from Bob at Interbike. He was hilarious and so genuine. I would love to go on a nice ride with him then knock down a few pints afterward!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bob in Madison

Bobke was in Madison a few months back for a private bowling party Trek sponsered. You had to have bought a Trek bike in the last year that is way outside of my price range to be invited. One of the people I work with went and said Bob can't bowl worth a hoot but can really stow the suds and was a really funny guy and very friendly. I have two of his books and I think they're hilarious.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Back in the early 90's

Bobke was winding down his career riding on the NORBA circuit. My family went to one of the races and I was out riding the roads while they played at a nearby lake. He caught me, no surprise there, slowed for a few seconds, and chatted before going off at a pace that appeared leisurely for him and was totally impossible for me. His demeanor and writing were, at times, kind of silly and sophmoric which may be why I liked him, but nobody rode as well as he did without doing a helluva lot of work. His unpretentious friendliness comes to mind each time there's a "stuck up roadie" posting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts