Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shaved my legs for the second time a couple days ago. I think I just about butchered them. Then when I went above the tan line... it just got ugly :eek: can you say razor burn? I did this in the shower with a schick 3 blade razor (new) and just soap. Would shaving cream make a huge difference that would be worth the time? Should I try switching razors (gillete mach whatever)? Or should I just suck it up and eventually my skin will get used to it? Any advice will be great.

Props to the girls that have been doing this for a while. I never thought it would be this hard.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
You have crossed over to the dark side. Gel shave cream. I can't use the 3-blade razors- destroys my legs. And I've been doing this for 30 years....:eek:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
spyro said:
I butcher myself with anything other than one of those mach three razors from gillette
yup...though I use the M3Power with the vibrating head. Also put lotsa cheap lotion on your legs after you get out of the shower. If you get those bumps it's usually ingrown hairs--try some witch hazel on them.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I got turned on to conditioner as a shave cream a while ago. Since I'm a guy and don't keep conditioner around, I decided to try out my Pert +.

Works great!

If yer new, shave 'with the grain.' Helps keep down the nasties.

Razors: I've been using Schick Slim Twins for a while now. They're OK. The GF's women's specific jobbie does a better job, but they're also a lot more spendy!

HTH,

M

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
If your leg hair is fully grown out - ie if you're a first timer or someone who hasn't shaved in a while, you can't expect to shave against the grain and not get razor burn and ingrown hairs. What I'd suggest is scrubbing really well prior to shaving. If your hair is grown all the way out, shave with the grain - rinse the hair off your razor and your leg (!) very often. Then, when you're done shaving down, if you want a closer shave, be careful and shave against the hair growth. Whenever I let my leg hair get out of control (not often, but you know - single gal in wintertime) that's what I do.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
hahaha i dont shave over the winter, what i do in the summer, when i have the fully grown out leg hair, is take the dog trimmers to it, to get it down to shorter lengths, then take the razor to it :)
its like a buzz cut, sorta...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Have you thought about an electric? I have some sort of Panasonic deal that charges up over night, and was built for women... THat may hook ya up.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
First time of the season I break out the Nair. Stinks like hell but leaves a nice clean leg.

After that I can break out the razor for the rest of the season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts