Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Jerez, Zacatecas, Mexico. It's a small town of 75,000 people in west central Mexico. It is in a valley on the eastern side of the Sierra Madre Occidental. Here many use bicycles for transportation, work, errands and of course recreation.

I thought you might like a look at the inside of a small shop here. Jorge Torres, a riding friend of mine, is the owner. There are many LBS similar to his in size and quality in town. They basically maintain bikes for the masses repairing flat tires, welding up cracked frames, replacing bearings, chains, cables etc. Many of these mechanics in town also race, like Jorge. He's an elite class racer here riding MTB or Ruta (road).

He doesn't have a lot of fancy equipment in his shop but can get the job done. I plan to shoot pictures of some more shops here. They are nothing like LBS in the US. First difference is price. Last week I purchased a used 1988 Bianchi Premio in super condition from another one of the shops here. I had it completely taken down cleaned and greased. I also replaced some bearings and cables and bar tape that due to age, rust and disuse were shot. All this for 125 pesos, the equivalent of $12 US! Labor is cheap. Parts cost pretty much the same as in the US.

The first outside the shop, then inside, various shots including his famous poster shot from La Chupacabras MTB race in Ciudad Juarez in Chihuahua State last year.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Thanks for sharing those pictures and description of one of your LBS. 88 Bianchi for 12 bucks?!?! Nice. The one time I was in Mexico I had a blast (Salsipuedes). I enjoy hearing from people not in the states, thanks again. Raul Alcala was one of my favorite riders...

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Looks like a nice clean operation. Can't say I've spent too much in Mexico so definitely thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Salsipuedes means...

Friction_Shifter said:
Thanks for sharing those pictures and description of one of your LBS. 88 Bianchi for 12 bucks?!?! Nice. The one time I was in Mexico I had a blast (Salsipuedes). I enjoy hearing from people not in the states, thanks again. Raul Alcala was one of my favorite riders...
Leave if you can. Probably not a good name for a tourist destination.

I had a great time bicycle touring down the length of Baja California. I'd like to bicycle tour in Mexico again sometime.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Friction_Shifter said:
I wish that Bianchi was that cheap. The cleaning, greasing, bearings and cables, getting it rideable cost $12. :D

The bike was actually in super condition hardly ridden. It cost the equivalent of $150. Still a relatively good deal here or in the states.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ridgetop said:
Looks like a nice clean operation. Can't say I've spent too much in Mexico so definitely thanks for the pics.
Yes it is one of the cleaner operations here. There is one shop that looks like a junk dealer, but actually he does the best work and sells high end MTB and road stuff. I'll get him to let me do fotos of his shop one day this spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts