Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice write-up over at Cyclingnews.

Away from the Discovery spotlight and looking at his entire career, there were always opportunities. “Of course there was temptation and huge temptation. I had a lot personally because I don’t see doping as a moral thing. I don’t see taking drugs as a moral flaw.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
empty_set said:
Away from the Discovery spotlight and looking at his entire career, there were always opportunities. “Of course there was temptation and huge temptation. I had a lot personally because I don’t see doping as a moral thing. I don’t see taking drugs as a moral flaw.
Think you should include the next bit too as it contextualises that statement.

“That sounds weird but I’ve seen guys who have really good morals do some bad stuff in cycling. And guys that don’t dope do some really bad things in life. So for me it wasn’t a moral thing. If I did it I wasn’t going to be a bad person.”
Creed is perhaps unique, or at the very least openly honest in his reasons for not doping, admitting that while the lines of right and wrong are often blurred, his own concerns were far clearer. “It was just me being afraid,” he says.
“I was really scared. There were a lot of people being caught. Maybe if I’d sat down with a doctor who was willing to give me whatever, maybe it would have calmed me down. But I never took that initial step because eventually someone is going to know. Even if I just ask the question but don’t go through with it I’ve already crossed the line. I didn’t want that story.”

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ultimobici said:
Think you should include the next bit too as it contextualises that statement.
I think people should go read the full article since I think it's worth doing so.

But here it is:
“That sounds weird but I’ve seen guys who have really good morals do some bad stuff in cycling. And guys that don’t dope do some really bad things in life. So for me it wasn’t a moral thing. If I did it I wasn’t going to be a bad person.”

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
A more reasoned approach to doping ethics but what was more interesting to me was the editorial slant that there was organized doping at Discovery. Suddenly it's apparently ok to accept that as a given.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
terzo rene said:
A more reasoned approach to doping ethics but what was more interesting to me was the editorial slant that there was organized doping at Discovery. Suddenly it's apparently ok to accept that as a given.
I thought that was interesting too as well as his statements regarding riders he knew in Girona that were on "this and that".

·
always right sometimes
1,832 Posts
Creed claims that he was scared to take PEDs. So....we are supposed to believe him that he did not use them....ok? I don't know what to think here... Maybe Lance should say that he was scared to start trying them too...Oh wait, he kind of already did...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks OP! That was one of the best interviews I have read in a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts