Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VeloNews seems to think that Riis is considering giving Michael Rasmussen
a slot on his re-styled Saxo Bank team built around supporting Conti's GT ambitions.

Rasmussen was a good climber back in the day - but is now 38 - would he help Conti or just be along for the ride?

"Reminder: Doping Posts/Threads go in the Doping Forum
Put your doping thoughts in the proper forum.
Hijacking someones thread to share your "they all dope" diatribe is a bad idea.
Repeat violators will be dealt with accordingly".-Coolhand

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think Rasmussen would give the same press-vibe as Basso and Vino. Rasmussen never actually tested positive for anything and was fired by his team for lying about his whereabouts. Guilty by association? Maybe .... The guy can climb though. I don't know if Contador would want another wolf in sheeps clothing with him.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
razzy was fired while in yellow and would be associated more with vino than basso.

i dont see conti caring either way about the chicken being on the team.

bwhite_4 said:
I think Rasmussen would give the same press-vibe as Basso and Vino. Rasmussen never actually tested positive for anything and was fired by his team for lying about his whereabouts. Guilty by association? Maybe .... The guy can climb though. I don't know if Contador would want another wolf in sheeps clothing with him.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps a Mountain Goat in sheep's clothing?

bwhite_4 said:
The guy can climb though. I don't know if Contador would want another wolf in sheeps clothing with him.
I'm thinking that Ras is probably no-longer be a realistic GC contender - but might be a great dom to help pull Conti up mountains and put some hurt on Team Schleck?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
LostViking said:
I'm thinking that Ras is probably no-longer be a realistic GC contender - but might be a great dom to help pull Conti up mountains and put some hurt on Team Schleck?
This. AC doesn't exactly need help in the climbing department, but Ras would serve as handy insurance if his form hasn't faded too much. You can never get enough help.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Being a dom for Ras would be mighty hard.

Personally I'd rather see Ras go for the win and retire with his finger in the air.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think it would be stoopid of Riis to associate his team with any confirmed dopers / cheaters. Securing sponsors these days is getting harder by the minute....

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
It may be as simple as him wanting to give another Dane a chance. He may be good for stage wins in the Giro or Vuelta- maybe.

FYI- there is a doping forum thread on his return, so post appropriately.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One-finger Salute

heathb said:
Being a dom for Ras would be mighty hard.

Personally I'd rather see Ras go for the win and retire with his finger in the air.
Agreed, but does he have the form to do that?

I know he had to end his season with Miche early due to a case of Mono - but don't have any info on how he was doing before that took him out of it.

Agree with Coolhand about Riis' possible motivation - many Danes believe Ras was treated unfairly when seen in the light of what others in his situation went through. I could go into more detail, but that discussion belongs on another thread.

__________________________________________________ ______________

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
im not sure the chicken would be much insurance. by all accounts, he was pretty self-centered. i know, i know, all pro athletes are self centered, but the stories i have heard about both razzy and conti. not sure the team would meld. it wouldnt be contis first time on a team where egos were big, but the chicken didnt get along with the mechanics, either. there was some talk that had something to do with his fried-chicken ITT.

Ventruck said:
This. AC doesn't exactly need help in the climbing department, but Ras would serve as handy insurance if his form hasn't faded too much. You can never get enough help.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
weltyed said:
razzy was fired while in yellow and would be associated more with vino than basso.

i dont see conti caring either way about the chicken being on the team.
I don't think that is the difference between Basso and Vino. Basso and Ulrich being pulled from TdF was a HUGE scandal for TdF - much bigger than Rasmussen who lets face it was not a household name on the level of Basso/Ulrich.

But unlike Hamilton, Landis, Millar, Botero, Mayo, Sevilla, Heras and many others who either retired after doping ban or tried to come back only to show they don't have it to compete at the top level anymore - Basso and Vino did make a very impressive come back, arguably to the same level of the sport as where they were when they left. One could argue they still dope, but that could be said about their competitors too - I, for one, think they cannot be that stupid after serving 2 years.

Either way, there is some redemption story here - I wonder if Rasmussen, or for that matter Valverde, Ricco etc. will come back to the same level.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
55x11 said:
....I, for one, think they cannot be that careless after serving 2 years.....
I fixed it for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.