Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 9 speed Miche cassette: partly to save money over Campy; partly out of curiosity. I know its been talked about before, but thought I'd throw this out there again:
Anyone have experience with Miche cassetts, or Mich products in general? Kind of interesting that its an Italian company that has survived in the shadow of Campy for 70 years or so.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I haven't personally used a Miche cassette, but I know of several folks who have. Feedback - not quite as quiet or smooth shifting as a Campy but one guy I know said that it worked better with a KMC chain than with a Campy chain.

By and large, the Miche stuff I've seen has been pretty nice. Before I scored a polished alloy Record 10 speed hub wheelset, I was very tempted to build a wheelset around the Miche hubset. I just couldn't tolerate a black hub on my neo-retro Bertoni.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The biggest advantage of Miche drive parts (besides the low price) is that they can be ordered with different set of spacers, do you can use Campy spline wheel with Shimano gears or vica-versa. The cogs are cheap, stamped type, do notlast half as long as Campy ones, the plastic spacers are sensitive to lockring overtightening (use a torque wrench!). Chains are manufactured by Taya, cogs are made by the same (Chinese) company which supplies Sunrace products. Shifting is OK, but since both chain and cogs wear fast, you will run into problems sooner than with original Campy drive system. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I owned one for just lessthan a year, the teeth where breaking off. I did have a campy chain though so maybe the KHS as mentioned would help that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All to satisfy my curiosity

Thanks for the replies. I am a little aprehensive now but the cassette is on its way so I guess I've only got 50 bucks to lose. I will be running it with a Campy chain too, so we'll see how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts