Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two of these Link when I bought my Pro 3 Race's for free. I have been hesitant on using them, since I live in a pretty rugged road area of West Virginia, and don't see the need to use race tubes on my standard rides (especially when I already have a surplus of tubes).

Also, I honestly do not know much about them. They're nearly dead on according to the weight specifications that Michelin supplied. 78g. for one, 77g. for the other (52mm stems). They are also very different from other tubes i have seen, since they are not threaded at all. I assume this is for deep dish wheels or carbon wheels. :shrug: Anybody willing to tell me any personal knowledge or experience with them? (sorry for grammar, drunk typing)

· Registered
21,867 Posts
No worries

lalahsghost said:
I got two of these Link when I bought my Pro 3 Race's for free. I have been hesitant on using them, since I live in a pretty rugged road area of West Virginia, and don't see the need to use race tubes on my standard rides (especially when I already have a surplus of tubes).

Also, I honestly do not know much about them. They're nearly dead on according to the weight specifications that Michelin supplied. 78g. for one, 77g. for the other (52mm stems). They are also very different from other tubes i have seen, since they are not threaded at all. I assume this is for deep dish wheels or carbon wheels. :shrug: Anybody willing to tell me any personal knowledge or experience with them? (sorry for grammar, drunk typing)
The Michelin A1 is the standard of quality against which other tubes are compared. They use a smooth valve stem, which does a lot less damage to the pump head. There is zero reason for a threaded stem on a road tube. These tubes are essentially just as puncture resistance as thicker tubes, because once something has penetrated the casing of your tire, the thickness of the tube is meaningless unless you go to something super thick. A super thick tube would make your tires ride like solid rubber (aka, crappy).

· Registered
638 Posts
I had these with my new pro3's as well. 40 miles later the back blew out in a manner that sounded like a 45cal gettin shot behind my back. When I went to check it there was a 5 inch split right down the seam. I immediately swapped out for bontrager xlites. theyve been good to me so far.

· Registered
21,867 Posts
Operator error

B15serv said:
I had these with my new pro3's as well. 40 miles later the back blew out in a manner that sounded like a 45cal gettin shot behind my back. When I went to check it there was a 5 inch split right down the seam. I immediately swapped out for bontrager xlites. theyve been good to me so far.
This kind of failure, assuming the tire sidewall didn't blow out, is because the tire was improperly installed and the tube was pinched under the bead of the tire. With riding, the flex of the tire with each revolution allows the tube to slowly work its way under the bead, and then blow out with a loud band. If you haven't had a similar problem with the tubes you're using now, it is because they were properly installed. Think about it: with the inner tube pressed against the inside of the tire and rim spoke bed at around 100 psi, just how on earth could you get an explosive blowout that ripped a long tear in the tube?

· Registered
2 Posts
blowout w/aircomp

I just had the same thing, on gatorskin with a 18-23 aircomp. The gatorskin is a 25, so maybe this was an issue, but the tire was professionally installed (by bike mech with lkots of tire experience), so I am thinking there is somethiong with these tubes. I have used them successfully elsewhere. Had exact type blowout described by previous member, after about 40 miles as he said. If it was a pinch, wouldn't it happen right away? I did pump it up pretty hight before blowout, but didn't exceed mfg. rec. Maybe 110... I wight 195

· Registered
7,189 Posts
This kind of failure, assuming the tire sidewall didn't blow out, is because the tire was improperly installed and the tube was pinched under the bead of the tire. ...
Agree.

IMO, the Mich AirComps are good tubes and are what I have been using the past two+ years. They are thin, with the cons being; a sharp object embedded in the tire and working it's way through the tire and tube will get through the thin tube a bit sooner, they're a bit easier to pinch flat, and they take a bit more care when installing so as not pinch or trap it under the tire bead.

· Registered
891 Posts
I just had the same thing, on gatorskin with a 18-23 aircomp. The gatorskin is a 25, so maybe this was an issue, but the tire was professionally installed (by bike mech with lkots of tire experience), so I am thinking there is somethiong with these tubes. I have used them successfully elsewhere. Had exact type blowout described by previous member, after about 40 miles as he said. If it was a pinch, wouldn't it happen right away? I did pump it up pretty hight before blowout, but didn't exceed mfg. rec. Maybe 110... I wight 195
18-23 Aircomp tubes shouldn't be an issue with 25mm tires. I'm using the same setup as you with 25mm Gatorskins and 18-23mm Aircomp tubes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.