Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

I am shopping for a fitness/training tyre (700*23C) and thinking of buying a pair of Michelin Carbon (2005+ model) due to their good puncture resistance and good longevity as well as decent rolling performance.

They are also a little bit cheaper than new 2005 Conti GP4000 and Vittoria Rubino Pro, which are also on my short list.

My question is: Michelin Carbon tyre performance on *wet* roads? Safe and predictable or very slippery?

thank you

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
acid_rider said:
hello everyone

I am shopping for a fitness/training tyre (700*23C) and thinking of buying a pair of Michelin Carbon (2005+ model) due to their good puncture resistance and good longevity as well as decent rolling performance.

They are also a little bit cheaper than new 2005 Conti GP4000 and Vittoria Rubino Pro, which are also on my short list.

My question is: Michelin Carbon tyre performance on *wet* roads? Safe and predictable or very slippery?

thank you
I don't think the Michelin Carbons are very confidence inspiring at all on wet roads. Don't like 'em for that. I much prefer Maxxis Hors Categorie tires in the wet. They inspire confidence. In the dry, the Mich Carbons are great, as are the Hors Categories. Durability between the two seems the same. Cost is similar. Another upside to the Hors Categories is that they come in a black and grey flavor. I don't like it that the Mich Carbons don't come in just black or black w/ grey stripes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
alienator said:
I don't like it that the Mich Carbons don't come in just black or black w/ grey stripes.
They do now. It looks like Michelin has updated the Carbon and now calls them the "Krylion carbon." They have black center tread, grey side tread, and black sidewalls. I've got a pair sitting in front of me right now.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
acid_rider said:
hello everyone

thank you
The Carbons are my favorite tires, but they do have two pretty big weak spots. First is handling in the wet - it's really not very good. Second is that they're hard as all get out to mount on certain rims.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Try Magamium2's for all weather trainers

Take a look at the Megamiums2s. They are wider than spec'd- they look quite rolly-polly and fat on the rim! Don't let that fool you- they seem to roll plenty fast, at least in my informal test of rolling down big hills with other folks.

I do long rides, and never know what kind of weather will hit me. I suspect temperature plays a fairly critical role for some tires. Well, it's a balmy 38 degrees, so I'm off for a ride. I've had the Megamium2 out in the rain in this temperature range, and they are not slippery. I dunno why they are not more popular- I expect it's they don't LOOK fast.

'meat

acid_rider said:
hello everyone

thank you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maxxis Detonator

I used to train on the Michelin Carbon Tires and had mounting issues as well. One day in my lbs I picked up a pair of the Maxxis Detonators (29.99) for just a few dollars more. I'll never put a pair of Michelin Carbons back on my bike after riding the Detonators. It is not the best tire I have ever ridden, but I don't get to upset when I loose one from hitting some piece of junk on the road either. I also don't mean to imply the sidewall cuts easy on the Maxxis tires either because they don't, but ya know, sometimes stuff happens.

George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts