Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
vulture chow
229 Posts
Ritchey rims and Michelin carbon are impossible. It is really the rim and tire combo itself you need to consider.

I ran Michelin Race and various Contis for years on a number of different rims and never had a problem. Built up a new bike with Ritchey rims and put Carbons on for durability. Was nearly stranded because I couldn't get the tire off the rim. Specialized S-works Mondo work fine on the same rim, but we tested all different brands of tires first. I found out that Ritchey rims tend to be a teensy bit oversize.

Just a note, Vreddies were the next best combo with the Ritchey rim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't use Velox Rim Tape with Ritchey Rims

Ritchey's are a pain especailly with Velox Rim Tape. I tried Performance's plastic / nylon / something rim strips and it made a huge difference.

I like Velox rim tape better but I like my thumbs too... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm using Michelin Pro Race 2's on both my Mavic Open Pro and 2006 Campy Eurus rims. The Mavic's mount fine no problems. Mounting to the Eurus was quite a bit harder, I was almost ready to give up and use a tire tool to mount it(something I haven't had to do since the 80's) but after pinching the tire together all the way around the wheel I was able to mount it bare handed. I'm pretty sure I'll need a tire tool to take the tire off, I haven't dismounted a tire there yet.

·
vulture chow
229 Posts
kramerski said:
Ritchey's are a pain especailly with Velox Rim Tape.
The Specialized S-works Mondo on the Ritcheys wth Velox are a piece of cake. No need to change tape and the Mondo ride every bit as nicely as Michelin Pro-Race. I've been very impressed, and I have a lot of miles on Pro Races.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.