Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Have been riding Michelin latex tubes for 7 years. Checking the tire pressure every day never bothered me. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,268 Posts
I've had worse luck with Continentals than with Michelins when it comes to porous tubes. Actually, the tubes I have the best luck with are the Specialized ones that come pre-talced.

I'm telling you, dude, inner tubes inhabit a strange, mystical world. Are some brands actually better? Are some brands actually worse? Is the life of an inner tube preternaturally subject to the roll of the cosmic dice? Are there evil people out there, hexing particular brands of tubes as you, ONLY YOU, pass by? If one of those crazy German bicycle magazines has done one of those exhaustive scientific studies on tube brands and their idiosyncrasies, I'd love to read it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I love Continental tubes and they are my favorite to use.

But, I've also used the Michelin Light latex ones and haven't had any problems.

I would like to be able to find all lengths of valves more easily though. Either find really short or really long, nothing for mid depth rims like Mavic CXP 33s. I like some valve showing, but not a lot.

Oh, and I don't like Bontragers. Those are cursed for sure, for me;)

·
Administrator
12,959 Posts
No issues over many years for me.

·
Administrator
12,959 Posts
Coolhand said:
No issues over many years for me.
Latex or butle? All latex tubes need to pumped up before every ride. If they were regular tubes they were defective.

·
Banned
605 Posts
kbwh said:
Have been riding Michelin latex tubes for 7 years. Checking the tire pressure every day never bothered me. Your mileage may vary, as they say.
+1 I just moved to latex and like them a lot

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I used Michelin A1's when they could be had for around $4.00. Now I buy what's ever on sale. I think they are all made in the same place now, Taiwan.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Or not

rubbersoul said:
Suck! Go flat within 3 days after being pumped up. Switched to Continental..perfect, no deflation through osmosis.
Our Michelin A1 tubes lose about 1 bar (15 psi) per week. And that has been the case for the decade or so that we have been using them as our preferred inner tube. YMMV

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Our Michelin A1 tubes lose about 1 bar (15 psi) per week. And that has been the case for the decade or so that we have been using them as our preferred inner tube. YMMV
YUP!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like 'em because there are no threads on the valve stem.

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
rubbersoul said:
... no deflation through osmosis.
Not a process of osmosis as I’m pretty sure you don’t have water entering your tubes but rather oxygen migrating (permeating) faster out of your Michelin tubes as you suspected...yes?

·
Registered
919 Posts
The Michelin A1 Airstops are good tubes that don't lose air rapidly, and they have a nice smooth stem that is easy on pump heads. They also make some lighter tubes, including latex, which will lose air more rapidly. This is a light tube problem, not a Michelin one.

BTW, my A1 Airstops say 'Made in FR Yugoslavia", so they must have a few different sources!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts