Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been using them for about two months. For the past four years I used Pro Race 2. I switched to Pro Race 3 this year but the tires had to be tossed after a few hundred miles because of too many cuts and the tire becoming compromised.

The Krylions do not handle nearly as well as the Pro Race 2 or 3 in my opinion, and the difference is even more noticeable in wet weather. They are far more durable however, and after about 1000 miles they still look new, despite riding over some unavoidable glass.

I am definitely more cautious running the Kyrlions. Overall I am not thrilled with them and would prefer a middle ground between the Pro Race and the Krylion. I have heard the Conti GP 4000 with the "black chili" compound is a nice compromise but have not had the opportunity to try them, having already spent a few hundred on tires this year.

I was able to pick up the Krylions for around $50 a pair on ebay.

G

·
I rode the Krylions for one season. I got about 1200 miles on them and they started to wear down quickly afterwards. Got flats on just about every other ride. The rolling resistance is not the greatest either. Don't expect anything great from these tires except as being a good budget tire of $38-$48 for a set which will get you thru the season if you cash is low.

Jusy my two cents worth..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been riding these for a few years. I get about 2K miles on them and they're still serviceable even at that point. I've gotten very few flats with them which is my main criteria.

I've ridden the Michelin Pros (this year) and did not find a noticeable performance difference.

I'm not an overly aggressive descender and I do not race so maybe some of the handling complaints are lost on me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Some really interesting comments on the cry lions. For reference, I was getting about 1,700 miles from Specialized Armadillos on the rear. Cry lions lasted for nearly 2,000 miles there. On the front, one lasted nearly 6,000 miles, but I grew tired of looking at it and moved it to the rear, where it lasted another 200-300 miles. I got punctures no more frequently than I did with the Armadillos. Michelin makes a durable tire for my needs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
my 'go-fast' bike is also a daily commuter to work, over some ugly patched roads and bits of sharp gravel... my specialized mondo's flatted after less than 100 miles. and the krylions have been going strong for about 500 thus far...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Wear well, ride so-so. I have some with 2000 miles on them hanging in my garage. I got tired of looking at them. I'm now using Michelin Lithions. I like them better. Cost less also. Biketiresdirect.com has them for $24.95.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mcwenzel hit my experience on the head. the krylions went on my bike when i went through 2 sets of vito's in as many weeks. this year on the new bike i went to the conti 4000's. the vitos were the lowest rolling resistance, and best grip of any tire i ever used. the krylions were the highest resistance, lowest grip, and the 4000's struck a middle ground. i put 2000 some miles on the krylions, no problems. the 4000's have 850 miles and show a slight bit of wear, but so far so good.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,070 Posts
I've been riding the Krylions for a couple of years and really like them. They wear well, last long, and I get very few flats with them. Good thread count and handle and ride well, too, at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been riding the M. Carbon's for years, I understand the Krylion's are just the new version of them. Yep, they suck in the wet. Otherwise, I find they ride fine, corner fine when not pushed beyond reason... let's face it, we've been spoiled by the truly, truly incredible rubber on tires like the pro race series.

If you're putting in long training miles, I think these are they way to go. I get about 3000 miles on a rear. Very, very few punctures.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I3erto said:
Anybody ride these tires?? What do you think compared to other tires youve tried??
Been riding a set for a couple of months now. Like them a lot. I rode through some nasty roads and didn't even get a flat...until the last lap of last Sunday's race ARRRGGHHH!!!! Hit the edge of a badly resurfaced patch of road and boom, there goes the race. Oh well, up until then they had performed flawlessly.

·
Mtb to Road
33 Posts
mcwenzel said:
I have been using them for about two months. For the past four years I used Pro Race 2. I switched to Pro Race 3 this year but the tires had to be tossed after a few hundred miles because of too many cuts and the tire becoming compromised.

The Krylions do not handle nearly as well as the Pro Race 2 or 3 in my opinion, and the difference is even more noticeable in wet weather. They are far more durable however, and after about 1000 miles they still look new, despite riding over some unavoidable glass.

I am definitely more cautious running the Kyrlions. Overall I am not thrilled with them and would prefer a middle ground between the Pro Race and the Krylion. I have heard the Conti GP 4000 with the "black chili" compound is a nice compromise but have not had the opportunity to try them, having already spent a few hundred on tires this year
I was able to pick up the Krylions for around $50 a pair on ebay.
Conti 4000s handle great and comfortable, but sidewalls are thin so I wouldn't train on them. I race on 4000s and train on krylions as they're affordable, durable and reasonably comfortable. Hope this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.