Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through Michelin's website today and noticed that the Axial Carbon is no longer listed. In its place is the Krylion Carbon. The product description seemed similar to the Axial Carbon. Has anybody had a chance to try out the Krylion Carbon yet? cheers.

boon

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
boon said:
I was looking through Michelin's website today and noticed that the Axial Carbon is no longer listed. In its place is the Krylion Carbon. The product description seemed similar to the Axial Carbon. Has anybody had a chance to try out the Krylion Carbon yet? cheers.

boon
only a few houndred miles. cannot see or feel any difference between michelin carbon (used to be axial?) and the krylions.
Seems to be new wrapping same package. Not that there was anything wrong with the package in the first place.
Ill let you know about durability in around 4000 miles :)

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. sounds like it's pretty much the same tire, just different name (although i am certain michelin would probably argue that the compound has been changed). so i probably can't go wrong with the krylion, since the reviews on the Carbon/Axial Carbon are quite positive.

boon

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
axial dropped but the rest is same?

boon said:
thanks for the info. sounds like it's pretty much the same tire, just different name (although i am certain michelin would probably argue that the compound has been changed). so i probably can't go wrong with the krylion, since the reviews on the Carbon/Axial Carbon are quite positive.

boon
my LBS recently said that just "Axial" has been dropped from the name so it is now just called Michelin Carbon. The Krylion may be another model they sell? Or my LBS is full of BS. Whatever!

·
Registered
168 Posts
acid_rider said:
my LBS recently said that just "Axial" has been dropped from the name so it is now just called Michelin Carbon. The Krylion may be another model they sell? Or my LBS is full of BS. Whatever!
"Axial" was dropped a year or two ago. (Axial Carbon -> Carbon -> Krylion Carbon) I couldn't tell you whether anything has changed besides the color of the tread, though. The new Krylion Carbons are black/grey/black. Whatever indeed.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
likeguymontag said:
"Axial" was dropped a year or two ago. (Axial Carbon -> Carbon -> Krylion Carbon) I couldn't tell you whether anything has changed besides the color of the tread, though. The new Krylion Carbons are black/grey/black. Whatever indeed.
krylion still comes in red and yellow. Oh I think they claim the krylions are 5 grams lighter than the carbons. Like it matters

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I thought . .

That the Krylion tires actually CONTAINED krylion, which, it is my understanding, is an effective shield against tachyons. Was I mistaken?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
That the Krylion tires actually CONTAINED krylion, which, it is my understanding, is an effective shield against tachyons. Was I mistaken?
Sorry Kerry, that's only the caseif you have a 105 level or better framostat installed.

FWIW YMMV HTH TIA NTTAWWT AFAIK

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
krylion review?

So now it's been a few months, has anyone actually bought this latest Michelin Krylion carbon tyre? If so, please post a review?

I am close to having to buy a new set in 700*23C size for training/fitness riding and this tyre is currently on the top of my list with GP4000 and Rubino Pro. It appears to be a little cheaper than Conti GP4000 and might be just as good on the road. I know the Michelin Carbon/Axial had good user reviews so I do hope this new tyre is even better. One complaint about Michelin Axial/Carbon that I have heard about is poor wet weather performance, for example. Perhaps this is now better than before.

thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's pretty much the same

Pretty much the same tire as the old Axial Carbon, as other posters have said, only now it's available in three color choices. The Krylion appears to be durable thus far (based on my sample size of ONE), and after roughly 1000 miles on the trainer and 500 miles on New England roads, there are still no appreciable cuts/punctures/tread wear. Wet weather grip is still somewhat sketchy, and at equivalent tire pressures, the Krylion does not seem to be as grippy or ride as smoothly as the Pro2race in any conditions. This is why I use a Krylion on the rear wheel and a Pro2race in the front-- for me, this works out to be a reasonable balance of puncture resistance and performance.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
The Same?

I ordered Krylions from QBP in the blk/yellow combination. They sent the tires I was looking for in the first place-- the Carbon ones. So I assumed they were the same thing.

??

:confused:

Whatever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts