Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Michelin's Pro 3 is performing great! The Krylion Carbon is making it's way back onto shelves. I would love to hear any feedback concerning our tires or just general tire questions you always wanted to ask.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
I know it's the kiss of death, but I really like my Pro 3's. Only one flat in 600 miles so far, and that's because I decided to take a detour through some goat-head studded dirt. I've got a few cuts in the tread, but nothing I haven't lived through before. The ride is soft and controlled. To my legs, rolling resistance is about par with my previous Pro 2's. My only gripe is a slight visual wiggle as my front tire rotates. The thing I like about the Pro 3 the best, though, are my tires' groovy, white-walled, retro look.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
MichelinBikeTech said:
Michelin's Pro 3 is performing great! The Krylion Carbon is making it's way back onto shelves. I would love to hear any feedback concerning our tires or just general tire questions you always wanted to ask.
All right! Last weekend was the Eroica in Italy that they race partially on gravel roads. There's also a race like this in the UK on similar roads. Here's the Eroica and the pics show its road conditions -
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/mar09/eroica09/?id=results

Those dirt roads are just like what I ride up here in Canada. What tires from Michelin's lineup would be suitable for fast hard rides in these conditions? I'm thinking something like your lightest tires but in 25-30mm size.

I have some old Michelin ProRace 25mm tires but I haven't tried them on the gravel/dirt. They're great on paved roads. I weigh 195lbs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
With more wheel options being made available in Tubeless compatible, has Michelin got anything in the pipeline as far as a Tubeless ProRace, or a new model perhaps designed to be tubeless?

·
Registered
244 Posts
excellent to have you here: question about 4 Seasons vs GP4000

OK, looking for a 25 or even 28 mm training/racing tire -- want the best of durability, light weight, traction, low rolling resistance, excellent road feel -- I want it all:) Can you compare the two tires please?

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Michelin Man: I wonder about longevity of the Pro 3's. Barring a catastrophic puncture, can I expect to get the same mileage as the Pro or Pro 2?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Michelin Man:

Is there any chance of seeing a 25 in the light blue in the near future. I love the tires and have used many brands over the years. I am 180-185 lbs and run the rear at max so I do not pinch flat and would like a bigger tire for the rear and ride with less PSI.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a terrible experience with the Pro 3s. They were a magnet for road debris, nicks, chips and cuts in the tires that were too many to count. Debris became embedded in the tire, gradually worked it's way through and punctured the tube. I contacted Michelin to voice my opinion. They indicated that I would be called back by a Mich representative, it never happened. Over the same roads, I've had much better performance from other brands, no plans to ever go back to Michelin.

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
bianchi bob said:
I had a terrible experience with the Pro 3s. They were a magnet for road debris, nicks, chips and cuts in the tires that were too many to count. Debris became embedded in the tire, gradually worked it's way through and punctured the tube. I contacted Michelin to voice my opinion. They indicated that I would be called back by a Mich representative, it never happened. Over the same roads, I've had much better performance from other brands, no plans to ever go back to Michelin.
It not Michelin it's the Pro3s. The Krylons are great. I had a few gripes with the Pro3's but will give them another chance. I just picked up four cheap. They are the best tires out there performance wise IMO...I just got a few flats along the way.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
bianchi bob said:
Gosh, I didn't realize this was a whine to the Michelin Man thread. :incazzato:

From experience, the Pro and Pro 2 are somewhat susceptible to cuts. Like the Pro 3, they are thin, light performance tires. I easily get 4,000 miles with a rotation midway thru. When I ride thru some road glass, I brush it away with a gloved hand. Saying a tire is a magnet for road debris is rather arcane. Only a tire like a Specialized Armadillo will resist puncture, but you get the poor ride characteristics that go with it.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Raced on ProRace3's last year- no issues and didn't get more cut up than other stuff. Got a set of the white sidewall versions for this year.

Question- with the rise of deep aero clincher rims how about some 80mm Michelin Latex tubes? Much better option than running valve extenders.

Also Mud2 Cross Tubular (in 32 and 34)

And a ProRace3 Tubular. Both using latex tubes please.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Please inform us about sizing. I have heard that the Pro3s are narrower than Pro2s. Michelins in the past tended to run wide -- eg, 23s measured 25, 25s measured 27 -- which is one of the things I liked about them. What are the actual widths of the Pro3s in size 23 and 25? Also, will these same measurements also apply to the Krylions?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Michelin Man:

You said the Krylion Carbons are making their way back onto shelves. This is indeed great news. Any dates or at least a time frame as to when that is going to happen? Ive been a long time Krylion user and have been disapointed as of late that I haven't been able to find them.

If your taking requests or feeding back info to Michelin, how about some new Krylion colors? I'd love a Krylion with blue stripes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
excellent to have you here: question about 4 Seasons vs GP4000
OK, looking for a 25 or even 28 mm training/racing tire -- want the best of durability, light weight, traction, low rolling resistance, excellent road feel -- I want it all Can you compare the two tires please?
Those tires are not made by Michelin. I wouldn't think the 'Michelin' man would be the one best suited to answer questions about them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Mapei said:
I know it's the kiss of death, but I really like my Pro 3's. Only one flat in 600 miles so far, and that's because I decided to take a detour through some goat-head studded dirt. I've got a few cuts in the tread, but nothing I haven't lived through before. The ride is soft and controlled. To my legs, rolling resistance is about par with my previous Pro 2's. My only gripe is a slight visual wiggle as my front tire rotates. The thing I like about the Pro 3 the best, though, are my tires' groovy, white-walled, retro look.
Mapei, you must be riding our Michelin Pro 3 Race in the new Ivory color, I am glad that you like them. To explain the "wiggle" you see when looking down at your tire while rolling: You will notice the gray center of the Pro 3 is a different tread color than the black shoulders. The center tread rubber has low energy dissipation properties to reduce rolling resistance when rolling straight while the shoulder tread has high energy dissipation properties to increase grip while in a turn. This enables you to come into a turn with 27% more grip than the Pro 2 and not have to sacrifice the low rolling resistance. Because the center tread is a different color tread than the shoulder you will sometimes notice a slight "wiggle". It in no way effects the performance of the tire.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Good feedback

I'm happy to be able to sell Michelin tires!

I work for a distributor of Michelin product, and have been happily racing on Pro3's and training on Krylions. My last set of Krylions wore out, after about 3,000 miles in nasty PNW rain, and the front probably could've gone on another 2K, but I had to put Vittoria tires on in their stead. I'm excited to get the K's back in stock!

Michelinman may disagree, but for most riders in most conditions I think the Krylion is a GREAT tire choice -- they feel almost as great as the Pro3s, and their price, performance, and longevity make them fill a niche in the market that few other builders do.

·
Registered
245 Posts
When will the Light Grey version of the Pro Race 3 be available?

I have seen them listed on a couple of sites but none in stock....

Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
corky said:
When will the Light Grey version of the Pro Race 3 be available?

I have seen them listed on a couple of sites but none in stock....

Thanks
Ditto. Can't find them anywhere. Tempted to try the Ivory. I've been riding Pro2's forever. I tried Krylions once and they felt hard/dead compared to the Pro2 ride. Will the Pro3 give the same ride feel as Pro2, and are they suitable for everyday training? I sure like the idea of improved grip, we ride some twisty canyon descents here in Colo. All the comments about excessive flats has me hesitating though.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts