Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Michelin Pro3 Race vs Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX

Has anyone tried both of these tires? I need to get a new set of tires and would really love to try both. But I can't have both. I just need to pick one. I don't care how much they cost. I just want to know which one is more comfortable, and faster. Puncture resistance may not be that important to me. The roads that I ride on are very clean.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
cavinsoo said:
Has anyone tried both of these tires? I need to get a new set of tires and would really love to try both. But I can't have both. I just need to pick one. I don't care how much they cost. I just want to know which one is more comfortable, and faster. Puncture resistance may not be that important to me. The roads that I ride on are very clean.
Evo CX is a bit more supple, but the Pro 3 is faster with a bit more punture protection.

I use both and it's a bit of a toss up. Right now I am riding the Pro 3 more.
Then again I love the CX line in clincher and tubular form.

if you like a tire with that very fien tread, then go Evo CX. Smooth Pro 3.
Bit more RR? Pro 3
More supple and slighty smoother tire, Evo CX.

French or Italian?

I will say the pro3 is about the best clincher I have tired yet, besides the CX. It's 1a and 1b for me.

·
TWD
603 Posts
gotta agree with DB, I think the CX's ride more comfortable and just seem to track better than the P3R's. I am riding the P3Rs right now and they are fine and I haven't had a flat as of yet. The CX's cut very easily, I am lucky to get 1K out of them before they start looking bad enough I change them.
When I started riding the P3R's I first found them kind of squirrly feeling and I thought they were going to be a major let down coming off the CX's that I loved. But they settled in and ride fine now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth...

I had a pair of Michelin Pro 3 tires mounted on Campagnolo Scirocco rims on my Z3c. The effort to place them was significant. I rode them about 200 miles before a piece of glass sliced the rear tire open, leaving a 4mm through-and-through gash. I ordered a replacement and, despite two hours of concentrated effort, was simply unable to mount the tire on those rims or on Bontrager Race Lites. While the ride was good, durability is substandard and at least one of these is either defective or so damn tight it's not worth the trouble. I'm going back to Vittoria Diamante Pro.

·
Registered
657 Posts
kacomess said:
I had a pair of Michelin Pro 3 tires mounted on Campagnolo Scirocco rims on my Z3c. The effort to place them was significant. I rode them about 200 miles before a piece of glass sliced the rear tire open, leaving a 4mm through-and-through gash. I ordered a replacement and, despite two hours of concentrated effort, was simply unable to mount the tire on those rims or on Bontrager Race Lites. While the ride was good, durability is substandard and at least one of these is either defective or so damn tight it's not worth the trouble. I'm going back to Vittoria Diamante Pro.
Why do you say durability is substandard? Running over glass will cut most any tire.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I actually use both tires pretty consistently. I have the Vittora's on my Powertap wheelset and they have been great training tires. I have over 1700 miles on them and 2 seasons without a flat.

I currently race on the Michelin Pro3's and absolutely love them. They spin up really fast and I can maintain an very resepctable avg speed at tempo with very little perceived exhaustion. For me its a toss up. I like them both very much and have never flatted on them yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Durability

I made the comment on durability of the tire relative to the claims made for it in this regard (see, for example, the test reports on rouesartisanales.com), not necessarily relative to other tires in it's class. The low thread/sq-in count and lack of a Kevlar or similar puncture resistant belt made me a bit apprehensive about the tire for routine use, but I'm going to try again, anyhow. I am still frustrated by the immense difficulty required to place the Pro 3 on Campy rims, especially in comparison to Vittoria tires.

KAC

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check out this months Bicycling mag. They have a comparative write-up on four tires; Pro3, Vittoria Pro Light, GP 4000 and Bontrager Race X Lite. Maybe you can find the write-up on their web site, I'm not sure if it works that way.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
When I bought a used set of wheels they had Open Corsas mounted on them. Supposedly, they had about 500 miles on them, which I judged to be accurate, based on the condition of the wheels and the honesty of the seller.

On my first ride I had four flats in 15 km. I came home and threw them in the garbage. And I like Vittoria tires. I've ridden Diamante Pro Lights and Rubino Pros, and I've found them both way more durable than the Open Corsas. The Rubinos are very durable and the Diamantes were less durable, but had a great feel.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Four flats in 15 km? Well, that certainly settles it. So I will counter with my Open Corsas with thousands of kilometers on them--- and never a flat (true), thereby canceling out your negative opinion. ;) I like Open Corsas---- view them as a durable Veloflex Pave.

Please keep in mind that every used wheel set has only 500 miles on it.

Bertrand said:
When I bought a used set of wheels they had Open Corsas mounted on them. Supposedly, they had about 500 miles on them, which I judged to be accurate, based on the condition of the wheels and the honesty of the seller.

On my first ride I had four flats in 15 km. I came home and threw them in the garbage. And I like Vittoria tires. I've ridden Diamante Pro Lights and Rubino Pros, and I've found them both way more durable than the Open Corsas. The Rubinos are very durable and the Diamantes were less durable, but had a great feel.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
rode both tires. The Vittoria's were the smoother riding. The Michelins were cheaper. the Michelins seemed like they needed to be warmed up before they would quiet down. Both can be had from Probikekit.com The Vittoria Diamante pro lights are cheaper, have 220 tpi, just as durable and weigh less, better tire.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I have the Vittoria Corsa EVO CX and they ride great, very fast, but wear wear wear fast. Did I tell you that they wear fast! Not great for puncture resistance either. I put a heavy duty tube in them and when they are worn out, they are gone out of my life permanently.

I have the Michelin Pro Race 2 and though not high wearing tires, they wear much much better than the Corsas and are better for puncture resistance.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I must be doing something way wrong... Conti's, Pro3's.. all of them.. flats all the time.
Maybe because I live where the urbania head a head on collision with green acres. But nails, sheetrock screws, glass, thorns... deposits from the daily fender benders... someone in our group has a flat every ride, if not every other ride.

And to be on topic, I ordered my new bike, and going to try the Vittorias this time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run the Vittoria Corsas, smooooooth as butta! I have not had any flats but they are gonna happen no matter what tire you run. I think flats are more a product of how and where you ride than what tire you run.

They were a pain to mount when new but now everything has broken in and I am in love. Now I want a set of Paves for my rain wheels...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Guys who b*tch about a tire because they get several flats in a short span with the same tire should be b*tching about themselves, as it's an operator error. Either the rim strip is junk or the tube was pinched slightly when installing the tire after a flat or there's a burr on the rim.
I've ridden all of the tires discussed in this thread and have gotten the LEAST amount of flats on Open Corsas. The tpi is 290 (320 now) for pete's sake. That means the carcass is woven TIGHTER than a lower tpi tire and therefore won't let stuff through. It also means that the tire is more supple and should roll right over road debris.
The Vitts are far better riding, turning and feeling than all of the tires discussed here, bar the Veloflex Paves. Mich PR3s are horrible. They ride like crap, they wash in hard turns and they are baloney skin thin. Mich PR2 and Conti GP4000S are very similar and are good for training tires. I've been through three sets of OC CX tires since April...and used the same two latex tubes...since APRIL! That's right! Zero flats on the Vitts in almost 8000 miles...!!!!!
Sometimes I wonder if people air their tires up before every ride. If your tires are at 75 pounds and your run over a big rock or shard of glass, you are going to get a flat a lot of the time, period.
Air your tires, check them for any damage once a week or so and check your rims for any issues. I love it when folks show up for a ride and I see a cut in their tire with visible tube winking at me. You get a flat with sh*t and I'm leaving you out in the country.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.