Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had MicroFracture Knee surgery in the Fall of 2012...basically due to 40+ years (I'm currently 49) of tennis on hard courts.

As I sat eating at a restaurant tonight I saw approximately 40 cyclist gather at a local cycle shop and take off onto the roads in three separate groups...kind of stoked my fire to ride once again - haven't ridden on a consistent basis in probably 18 years.

For anyone who has had microfracture knee surgery, or knows a great deal about this surgery, is it safe to cycle after having this surgery?

If so, are there specific types of riding to avoid? (ie: up hills, rough trails if riding off road, etc.)

And so as to not make another post:
Are there any 'beginner' (ie: not very expensive) bikes you would recommend?

Currently have a Gary Fisher Mamba (?) circa 1995

Thanks for any help you can provide!

TripleB

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Once you fit the bike properly cycling is decent on the knees. Poor fit and it can be a knee pain nightmare. Go for it! Take it slow and build up. You will have niggles to deal with and adjustments to make, we all do. And the upside, compared to tennis? You don't need someone to play against!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have at it. Your knees will thank you. Had micro fracture on both knees in 2000 and a knee replacement in one knee in 2008 prior to cycling. With cycling my non replaced knee feels better than ever and I have lost weight which the knees also like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts