Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search before starting this thread.

I have a Fuji Aloha tri bike and have only put 300 miles on it in the last three years. I finally have it mechanically where I want it. In order to use it more I want to install drop bars. The bike is 2x9; 105 rear der. and Tiagra front der. Nashbar has a set of Microshift 2x9 shifters on sale. Tiagra and NOS Shimano shifters are pretty expensive. Will the Microshift work with Shimano? I'm trying to keep the cost to a minimum since I only paid $650 for the bike.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Nashbar's product page said:
Compatible with Shimano 9 speed Double Front and Rear Derailleurs
I have to say, though, I don't think I quite "get" the motivation. According to your signature, you have a road bike. Time trial bikes have kind of a funny geometry. If you get the new shifters, you may find that the Aloha is a real battle to set up with a conventional road position and turns out a bit reachy if you can get the saddle in the right place.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand your concern. I thought about the issue with handling. Once I change the bars this will still not be my main ride. The route I will take this bike will have minimal turns and hills. As for "reachy" I am OK with that. In a manner of speaking it may help my flexibility and.

My motives are:
1. gain new wrenching skills by installing shifters and cables
2. i need to put some miles on this thing. I upgraded the wheels and rear cassette.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Actually, I think the handling would be fine. The problem I see is that the seat tube is really steep. The seat post may not exist to get your saddle back far enough for a conventional road position.

Why don't you just do some more time on it as is? They're the weapon of choice for time trials (go figure) and you could probably log a really impressive Century time on it.

As far as the project is concerned, it should be very straightforward. And I think you're going to do it regardless of what anyone says. So, Godspeed.

EDIT: Also, if you haven't recabled your Cannondale since 2009, it's overdue.

FURTHER EDIT: And if you haven't recabled your Cannondale since 2009, I bet your bar tape looks like ass and has lost some of its resilience. You could slip the shifters off and put them back on while you're at it. :wink5:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the cable advice. Should i recable her if she still shifts like butter? I changed the bar tape after the first year. I obsess over cleaning all three of my bikes and both of my wife's.

I'm a big guy and finally started losing weight. Realistically it won't be til next year when I can ride the Aloha in the tri position for extended periods of time. Right now I have the aerodynamics of a Hummer. I do alot of my own wrenching but have been intimidated by running cables. I have all the the necessary tools.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
If it shifts nicely, you may not need to redo your cables yet. Sometimes it's also a pretty subtle change. I ride through the winter and all of my bikes see at least a little dirt, so if I was being good about it, I'd be recabling everything at least once a year. Really high-mileage riders might recable quarterly.

In real life, I'm not so good about it. I probably don't go more than three years without recabling any given bike, although the ones that go off-road get recabled more often - I have the most mechanical problems with my mountain and 'cross bikes, which go off-road the most. Go figure. So, I also put the most effort into maintenance on those. On the road bike, I get away with longer periods between redoing anything. It needs it now, but I think I hadn't previously recabled it since I changed out the rear derailleur - maybe two years?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.