Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of these on Friday, and I've never used it. I downloaded it for my Iphone so I got that far. I understand that you click the link the company interviewing you sends and I guess it launches MSTeams, but after that. . The HR person said it's a "chat" and I see that in the app, so do you just set the phone down and talk in speaker mode (I assume that's automatic)? I will dress and comb my hair in case they wanna go video. I wish they would just do a standard phone interview. I don't understand the "teams" concept. Ah, the era of COVID-19.

·
Registered
18,333 Posts
The HR person said it's a "chat" and I see that in the app, so do you just set the phone down and talk in speaker mode (I assume that's automatic)?
When they said 'Chat' did they mean a Teams Chat... or an actual 'verbal' chat. Because the 'Chat' feature in teams is an instant messaging feature. We use Teams at work but I've never used the Chat. I guess there's an option to turn it into a video or voice call by the icons in the upper right.

do you just set the phone down and talk in speaker mode (I assume that's automatic)?
Do you have a microphone and speakers on your computer? If so, that's the easiest option. You can toggle your mic on and just talk into it.
If you don't have a microphone, you can call into a meeting with a phone. I've never done it but I've been in meetings where people have. I'm not exactly sure.
Oh wait... you're using the phone app? Yea I think you'd just use it like a speakerphone.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When they said 'Chat' did they mean a Teams Chat... or an actual 'verbal' chat. Because the 'Chat' feature in teams is an instant messaging feature. We use Teams at work but I've never used the Chat. I guess there's an option to turn it into a video or voice call by the icons in the upper right.

Do you have a microphone and speakers on your computer? If so, that's the easiest option. You can toggle your mic on and just talk into it.
If you don't have a microphone, you can call into a meeting with a phone. I've never done it but I've been in meetings where people have. I'm not exactly sure.
Oh wait... you're using the phone app? Yea I think you'd just use it like a speakerphone.
She just said we can "chat" and I see your point. But yes, I have to use the app on my iphone as my PC isn't setup for microphone.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If the company sent a calendar invite just look at your calendar and at the appropriate time click "join" and you should be good to go with video and voice. That's all we do in our office. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
By chat.. she means talk.. not typed chat. I have been going through a number of these in the last 3 months. As with all of these communication tools, they can do audio, or audio and video, She may just mean chat via the audio facility, but if you see her on camera.. then turn yours on.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I don't understand the "teams" concept. Ah, the era of COVID-19.
I hear ya. My company (20k employees worldwide) has gone through a number of these sort of programs and recently switched from Skype to Teams. Now, instead of having people reach me via email or phone, they reach out via email, phone, cellphone, Teams chat, Teams phone. Sometimes someone will instant message me to ask if I'm available by phone!

The nice thing about teams is that it's easy to have a conference call where people can share screens to look at drawings, maps, documents, etc.

I have run into issues with the phone app that I think were due to problems on the call leader's end but it would be nice if you could somehow do a test run before your interview.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies all, and yea, a test run would be great. I’ll email the HR person and asked if she meant a text chat or vocal chat. It got bumped back to Tuesday the 19th, so I have a little more time.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
And don’t forget to unmute your mic when it’s time for you to talk.

btw, the Chat feature in Teams is where you can enter text for everyone to see. Useful if you need to share a hard to spell name, post a link to share w/ everyone,etc

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
And don’t forget to unmute your mic when it’s time for you to talk.

btw, the Chat feature in Teams is where you can enter text for everyone to see. Useful if you need to share a hard to spell name, post a link to share w/ everyone,etc
We started off using Zoom, but then went to Teams. I have a couple Teams meetings everyday. If your laptop has a camera on top of the screen, it'll also have a microphone. Prop it up so the camera is eye level. Nothing worse than watching someone talk where you get a direct view up their nose. You can also do it on an iphone (I've never done that). If you do use a phone, try to set it on something so the screen faces you (propped up). If you hold it, it looks all jerky on the other end. Shave, wear a nice shirt and tie. Don't wear pants. This is the only interview you'll ever have where pants are optional.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts