Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pondering the gear while stuck in the winter snows.

Decent condition 2006 vintage SSC SL in 2021:

OK training wheels or museum piece?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,488 Posts
You will never ever find parts for them. Granted...parts availability when new is a problem for Mavic products.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed that parts are an issue, but in reality the same can be said for too many other 'brand name' wheels these days. But I already own 'em. They spin true, rims only have slight wear, and unlike most older wheels they take 11s (Shimano) cassettes. For non-racing use, not sure I could buy something more functional with the proceeds from selling 'em.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts
I say ride them into the ground. What would you be looking for to replace them?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lombard- You're probably right.
About US$250-300 is the most I'm seeing on e-bay these days for this vintage SSC SL's in decent shape. Anything I could get new in that price range would be an entry-level wheel, and I see VERY few decent used wheels up for sale these days. Come to think about it, the look of those vintage silver SL's on an old Cannondale CAAD frame I have might even be a conversation starter whenever those big group rides (hopefully) start up again around here. :)

·
Banned
442 Posts
Pondering the gear while stuck in the winter snows.

Decent condition 2006 vintage SSC SL in 2021:

OK training wheels or museum piece?
I would say that it all depends on your size and how hard you ride them. I have a friend that is a little under 200 lbs that rides harder than hell and on the broken up California roads he was going through a set a year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had excellent luck with my Mavic wheels that came on my CAAD 10. They seem to stay true, and so far, no issues at all. What I read about Mavic makes me pause on anything new, but I feel fortunate that they have been really good wheels over the years.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,036 Posts
I have had excellent luck with my Mavic wheels that came on my CAAD 10. They seem to stay true, and so far, no issues at all. What I read about Mavic makes me pause on anything new, but I feel fortunate that they have been really good wheels over the years.
Older Mavic wheels were good. And if you are a light rider, chances are you won't have any problems with newer Mavic wheels. But there are better choices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts