Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking for a old bike frame to convert to fixie for a while. I finally came across that frame two days ago for $40!!. I plan on trying to make it look like a very lod european bike. I plan to strip the paint and go with gloss black paint on the tubes, chrome the lug's and fork. I'm also hoping to find a older steel threaded fork in 1" diameter so i can get a threaded nitto stem with some chrome track drop bars. I also am going to go with velocity deep v wheels in the wood teak color. For the seat I plan on getting a brooks b17 in brown with some sort of natural cork tape or broks leather tape...or something that is very simailer.

Also if you have any parts that could be of use please let me know. While i am currently severly poor unitl the summer due to school, i would love to arrange something for you to hold on to it for me until then. Also, if there are any parts that you are willing to donate let me know, i'll pay for shipping.

Hopefully it should look something like this when i'm done with it with a few different things: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2009/feb/2/StefanLiebert.htm#image_2

Hope you like it!!!

Also, since this is my first restoration i will keep you up to date with pictures and status reports of how it is going.

Eric Svendsen
Gunnison Colorado

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
YOu might have trouble finding parts. French bikes from the 70s had all sorts of proprietary french parts- Bottom brackets are usually french thread, seatposts can be odd sizes and headsets can be funky.

Lately, I've been seeing a bunch of french-thread BBs or ebay, so you should be able to get one, it might just cost as much as the frame.

That said, you're gonna have a blast building this thing up. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
buck-50 said:
YOu might have trouble finding parts. French bikes from the 70s had all sorts of proprietary french parts- Bottom brackets are usually french thread, seatposts can be odd sizes and headsets can be funky.

Lately, I've been seeing a bunch of french-thread BBs or ebay, so you should be able to get one, it might just cost as much as the frame.

That said, you're gonna have a blast building this thing up. Good luck!

I concur.. The French BB is going to be the biggest challange( the Nomad does require a French BB)..

Eric, what size is the frame?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the frame is a size 57... I spent 4 hours today sandblasting the paint off at the schools metal shop... I'll take pictures and post them in a little bit.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I recommend craigslisting it and starting over. You can get a much nicer frame that'll be a lot easier to work on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fork is a 1", i can go with either threaded or non but i would prefer non since i already have a threadless headset. Any french bb will work. I'll take any stems, especially if they are painted (i can sandblast them)... i think i'm going to go with straight or riser bars, again painted or even a natural metal look will be fine... I believe my seatpost is 25.6 with a shim for 25.4 but i will find out for sure...right now i'll take anything that fits becasue i'm in college and very poor...i don't even have money for beer lol!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay, here are some pictures of the frame after i spent 4 hours sandblasting and wirebrushing with a drill to get the paint off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey Dave, you mentioned you had a bunch of parts...have anything that could be used on this project?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good luck

What the other guys said.

It is great to see your enthusiasm, but you are spending a lot of time, and you are about to spend a lot of money, on a bike that sold for $125 in 1975.

I see that you live in CO. There are dozens of better frames on craigslist in CO every single day.

This probably sounds a little harsh, but hanging several hundred dollars worth of parts on that frame doesn't make a lot of sense, when there are so many better candidates out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.