Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charm City is a big one. Granogue (in Delaware) is the grandaddy of all east coast cross races. Wissahickon, the next day, is a classic as well 9one of my faves).

· Registered
799 Posts
depends on you....

Kram said:
Charm City is a big one. Granogue (in Delaware) is the grandaddy of all east coast cross races. Wissahickon, the next day, is a classic as well 9one of my faves).

.....but I always start with Charm City and the Ed Sander. This year I have 2 girls playing travel soccer so not sure what races I can actually make:(

Michael
www.MLKimages.com

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 13 y/o is in travel soccer. However, being that age they tend to play later. Plus, as long as the race is on sunday, I can make it. Saturdays can be tough until soccer is over.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it would. But reg EARLY. The cat 4's were fulllast yr and the masters was d$mn near full. (100 cat 4 starts last yr-80ish b masters)

· Registered
150 Posts
It's a good one

trin2du said:
I volunteered at the Wayne Scott Memeorial at Fair Hill last year and I had been planning on trying to hit as many of the MAC races as I can. Definitely had planned on Granogue, since it's only an hour away.

Would Charm City make a good first race?
Charm City is a great race, but it's big, and now that it is part of the MAC I bet it it will be bigger and even more competitive.

If one of the PA races are near you, a warm-up race wouldn't hurt.

Also- it's possible (though I havent seen anything) that call-ups could be based on the MAC race the day prior.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Kram said:
I'd second Granogue as being one not to miss. Probably the best venue i've seen for a cross race.

I like the Beacon race as well because it is so unique compared to most of the other ones.

· Registered
535 Posts
trin2du said:
So, as a mid-atlantic (Delaware) first timer, is there a good race to start with? Races to avoid?
i think all the races are great. charm city was my first last year and I pretty much raced every weekend after that.

The only race I really didnt like was whirlybird and that had a lot to do with the weather making the course hard as hell.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lithuania said:
Is Kelley Acers Cross in maryland a new event?
I think so. Don't remember it from last yr. The 2 in PA before Charm city are at a ski area near Trexlertown. Might be an interesting course. These, I think, are new as well.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll probably do the 1 on Sunday. Saturday is sure to be taken with soccer dad responsibilities.

· Registered
150 Posts
lithuania said:
it looks like two races added to the mabra series with rockburn being moved up more than a month.

Wayne Scott Memorial Cross wasnt a MAC race last year was it?

Is Kelley Acers Cross in maryland a new event?
Wayne Scott was MABRA last year.

rockburn and DCCX (our team's race) were new last year, then were accepted to MABRA.
Urban CX in Charlottesville also is listed as a MABRA race.

As for the move in timing for Rockburn, I think the idea was to have the MABRA champ frace be the last race of the series, which makes sense to me. I think they also had to negtotiate what weekends were accpetable to the park commision.

I never heard of Kelly acres.

marc

· Registered
799 Posts
Luck you.....

Kram said:
My 13 y/o is in travel soccer. However, being that age they tend to play later. Plus, as long as the race is on sunday, I can make it. Saturdays can be tough until soccer is over.

My 8 years old playing U9 has Saturday games and my 11 year old (U12) plays on Sunday. My son - just turned 4 and he will also be starting some Pee Wee soccer....who knows where that fits in?? I know where I'll be most of the fall so I just sold my Brand New set of training tubulars :(

I hope to be able to sneak in a few races on non-tournament weekends....bad thing is I will be so out of shape it might hurt too much!

Michael
www.MLKimages.com

· Registered
304 Posts
Bear Creek is the ski area where the first weekend will happen. There is a good possibility that it will be in conjunction with some kind of fall festival or similar.....there is a great hotel and grill on-site as well as a spa for folks who's significant others need encouragement to come out to the races ;) FWIW I dont work there I am just local to the area.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Her team won't be playing in many tourney's AFAIK...just the traditional one sometime in mid Oct. I hope.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.