Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for two years now. Between winter, herniated disk and other health issues, I've either totally missed or was limited in my riding for probably 8 or 9 months of that time.

When I started I definitely had an imbalance in strength. The only place I've ever had post ride soreness or fatigue are my hip flexors. They would burn pretty quickly on difficult climbs or any out of the saddle sprints. My lower back would also get sore during rides (pretty much only climbing), but never after a ride.

I started core strengthening about a year ago, and in late April or so, I've felt good enough to start putting in more miles. I've gotten stronger overall. I've finally gotten to the point that my hip flexors / core are strong enough that I am also feeling the burn where my legs meet my glutes.

Maybe not so oddly, I am still getting a fatigued back but it has moved up to my mid back. Above my pockets but below my shoulder blades. No my lower back. This still only happens when climbing. Specifically, when climbing hard. I can limit it on climbs that are not steep (6% or so), but on steep climbs I need to push to stay upright. And then the fatigue / soreness starts within a couple of minutes.

I understand it is probably time to adjust my core routine. Are these two common places for fatigue / soreness? Where the glutes meet the hamstrings and mid back?

thanks for any feedback.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
I'm curious how you could be stressing your hip flexor so so much, they are activated pretty infrequently during a pedal stroke and only in certain circumstances. Are you actively trying to pull up on the pedal stroke?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't pull up. When I am at a good a cadence (90 or above), I pedal more like a c shape, 12 - 7 on a clock. As my cadence drops (usually fatigue combined with grade) I find it very difficult to keep that stroke and I gradually power less of the stroke until I am only pushing down from say 1-5 o'clock when my cadence is in the 40's (unfortunately, I have a climb where keeping it above 50 is hard).

I work from home. I worked out of my recliner with a swivel table over my lap for 8 years. I think being in that supported position not only reduced the flexibility of my hip flexors, but I lost strength as well. Just before taking up biking, I also felt similar issues running.

·
Registered
29 Posts
when you say mid back is it in the middle or to one side? Most likely the reason your hip flexors get sore is because they are getting tight because of different muscles being tight around your butt and hips..in the back. I have been going through the same thing since my herniated discs and the only time it goes away is if I stretch and roll the muscles around my hips/butt including your hip flexors 3 or 4 times a week and don't take a lot of time off the bike.

what happens in my case is the muscles in back get tight so the hip flexors and a few other muscles on the front side try to compensate and then they get tight. For some reason it only really feels like the front ones are tight but once you start rolling the back ones you'll feel relief right away. It doesn't last but if you keep it up for a month or so you'll feel better. I also started getting the upper back tightness and that was how I figured it out for me.

If you do nothing else, stretch the hip flexor and the piriformis after each ride for a few minutes and I would guess the upper back issue will calm down.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the mid back tightness / fatigue goes across the whole back. It is new only the last few weeks of riding, and at the same time, my hip flexors are getting "beat up" less.

Previously, my lower back and hip flexors that were the only places that ever got hit. This was from the beginning. Even before my disk issue.

I am guessing that my hip flexors getting beat up had multiple reasons: Hip Flexor tightness and lack of strength, and lack of overall core strength requiring recruitment of other muscles to help stabilize.

So where I am now is mid back tightness /fatigue and starting to burn where my butt meets the back of the thigh. Neither of these issues come post ride. Only during the ride.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I work from home. I worked out of my recliner with a swivel table over my lap for 8 years. I think being in that supported position not only reduced the flexibility of my hip flexors, but I lost strength as well. Just before taking up biking, I also felt similar issues running.
I work from home now as well and I started seeing some of those symptoms not too long ago. Here is an exercise that really helped me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ymiYa-ZGQ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts