Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m thinking about buying a new bike, I ride a Specialized Roubaix Expert now, was considering a Roubaix S Works and then I found a review for the Merckx EMX 5. Wow, that is one sweet looking bike but I wondering how the frame geometry compares to the Roubaix. BTW I don’t race, mostly ride by myself or in small groups and normally ride 75 + miles a week.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
marknelson said:
So I’m thinking about buying a new bike, I ride a Specialized Roubaix Expert now, was considering a Roubaix S Works and then I found a review for the Merckx EMX 5. Wow, that is one sweet looking bike but I wondering how the frame geometry compares to the Roubaix. BTW I don’t race, mostly ride by myself or in small groups and normally ride 75 + miles a week.
To make a more direct comparison between the two bikes, we'd need to know what size you're now riding (assuming it fits well and you'd stay with it).

·
Registered
87 Posts
just to point out the obvious... you asking whether or not to buy a top shelf Specialized vs Brand X on a specialized specific forum...

;-) get the s-works! :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bonz50 said:
just to point out the obvious... you asking whether or not to buy a top shelf Specialized vs Brand X on a specialized specific forum...

;-) get the s-works! :D

Yeah, and........

·
Registered
457 Posts
Merckx

Since your sole criteria is: mid-life crisis, I'd get the Merckx.

When I think of the mid-life crisis (or dentists:D ), I think of: Pinarello, Colnago, and Merckx.

I don't think of Cervelo, Specialized, Felt, Ridley, or Cannondale. All (and many others) make bikes every bit as good as the exclusive brands, but they don't fulfill the mid-life crisis component.

-Smarty

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
marknelson said:
My Roubaix is a 56cm.
From the geo info offered on the Merckx site, here's what I see as the differences:
All else being equal, reach on the 56cm Merckx is about 1cm shorter than the Roubaix. Standover isn't listed, but the Merckx lists the STL (c-c) as 560, while the Roubaix's is 515 (c-t), so depending on how you're proportioned, that may matter to you. The HTL is 1cm less on the Merckx, so depending on how sensitive you are to saddle to bar drop you may or may not notice, and it can always be adjusted.

Can't offer much beyond that because they don't list CS length, wheelbase, trail, etc., but IMO the only way you can reliably decide on which way to go is to have both bikes set up for you and test ride them.

·
AKA Old Man
598 Posts
smartyiak said:
Since your sole criteria is: mid-life crisis, I'd get the Merckx.

When I think of the mid-life crisis (or dentists:D ), I think of: Pinarello, Colnago, and Merckx.

I don't think of Cervelo, Specialized, Felt, Ridley, or Cannondale. All (and many others) make bikes every bit as good as the exclusive brands, but they don't fulfill the mid-life crisis component.

-Smarty

+ 1 to this

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cruise on over to the womens forum and ask which bike they find the most intriguing - it's a mid life crisis bike afterall!

And when they tell you, tell me. ;)

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Hmmm. Well, I would point out that just because a reviewer loved it, doesn't mean you will.
So if you really are intrigued by the Merckx, you ought to ride one
It would certainly have more cache' among bike snobs.

(That said, I'd get the S-works Roubaix :) )

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"I'm not helping you, am I?"

Well no but you did make me laugh!

Nearest Merckx dealer is 2.5 hours away but he does have a EMX-3 in stock so I may go test ride it next weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts