Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other options than traditional caliper brakes for bikes with long or med-range brakes? I've got a Gunnar Sport with Tektro brakes, probably the 737 model, and stopping power is very poor. Perhaps it just needs some new pads, such as Kool Stops, but it stops so poorly that I'm not sure how much that will help. I was wondering if something like the Paul Racers would be an improvement? Any other brakes I should consider?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had some Shimano BR650s but unfortunately sold them before picking up the Gunnar Sport. Will probably try some KoolStops before doing anything else since its a relatively inexpensive change

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Tektro is known for having crappy pads. I switch out mine to Koolstop salmon and they stop as good as any other brake I have used.
Second that. Similar experience.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,461 Posts
I use Tektro R538s with Kool Stop salmon pads and am very satisfied with he feel, modulation and stooping power. The R538 is the equivalent to the Shimano BR-650.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,987 Posts
Just a counterpoint for Tektro. I've had Tektro brakes corrode here in the salty wet Northeast. The Shimano brakes don't. BR-R650 is the go-to mid-reach brake standard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.