Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Same thing for me. I started training for a triathlon, so I only ride about 4 days per week, with running and swimming taking up the other 3. Cycling is still the main focus though. I'll get through the burnout. Eventually.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
Try something different on the bike...

I have 5 different bikes for this very thing. To change things up I'm participating in a 6 week Short Track XC series. I haven't ridden off road in years, but wanted to do some this year and needed a bit of a change in pace and it's perfect.

I'd forgotten how much fun MTB'ing was and really enjoyed the race. Just for fun I did it on my new Cyclocross bike...which I'll be using for my first year racing cyclocross this year.

Basically a change of pace and something different and still was able to get in an increadible workout....and 2nd place in sport senior class (2 wipe outs and some rusty skills kept me from getting first :mad2: ).

Some people have single speeds or fixies...or race at a velodrome if they have one near by.

If all else fails take a week off the bike and relax...may be just what you need :idea:

· disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Just take some time off the bike. Do something else for a while and come back to the bike when you come back to your senses.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Nashua said:
It's the middle of the season, I have no races for about 3 weeks and I am starting to feel a little sick of riding. Any suggestions with motivation would be greatly appreciated.

Every year your type pops around here at this time.

:idea: Get off the bike and do something else and realize you suck at it big time..

and then you'll think nothing about getting back on the bike to ride again.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Don't race so much. Read the section in the Bible about planning your race year, look at some of the examples, you'll see that Friel recommends racing much less than most road cyclists race.

If you belong to a team, there can be a fair amount of peer pressure to race more often than you should. Pick the most important races, and be willing to work for other guys, and you won't have reason to feel guilty about it.

· Registered
964 Posts
I had a really good run of 3 straight months of consistent training. Then two weeks ago I couldn't force myself to get on my bike after work. I have even found myself hitting the snooze on weekend group rides.

The best way to get through this is to buy a new piece of gear to give yourself a reason to ride.

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
Try something different on the bike...

I have 5 different bikes for this very thing. To change things up I'm participating in a 6 week Short Track XC series. I haven't ridden off road in years, but wanted to do some this year and needed a bit of a change in pace and it's perfect.

I'd forgotten how much fun MTB'ing was and really enjoyed the race. Just for fun I did it on my new Cyclocross bike...which I'll be using for my first year racing cyclocross this year.

Basically a change of pace and something different and still was able to get in an increadible workout....and 2nd place in sport senior class (2 wipe outs and some rusty skills kept me from getting first :mad2: ).

Some people have single speeds or fixies...or race at a velodrome if they have one near by.

If all else fails take a week off the bike and relax...may be just what you need :idea:
+1

Change it up a bit. Or just quit "training" and just ride. I don't know. What goals left do you have left for the end of the season?

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
I'm in the same spot... I just had the worst race of my season last weekend, so I'm taking some time to do what Cruzer just mentioned... "quit training and just ride" (been at races most weekends since the beginning of March)

Luckily I'm on a bit of a vacation/road trip right now in Wisconsin & Michigan, so I've been just doing some sight seeing. I don't even put the computer on my bike- No idea how fast I go or how long it takes- I pick a route that I can get a distance/cue sheet for on MapMyRide, and just do it for fun.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Mid-season burnout isn't a problem when you have short term memory problems. By the time Monday rolls around, I've mostly forgotten how upset I was at myself, for not doing as well as I wanted to do yesterday. I don't have any crits for a few weeks, so I'm putting off any "eye-ball poping" rides for a week or so. Just going to do "Tempo" and Zone 2 stuff........Lots of it.

· Registered
896 Posts
My burnout symptoms are always in direct corelation to my health, and success at races. when I am rested, not sick and placing well - no burnout. I race March to Sept. July is a slow month. I am going on a bike vacation in the french alps next week. I come back, have 2 weeks to get sorted, then race the state Crit champs. just the thing for a mod season lull. otherwise I would seek out some mtb races

· Registered
2,771 Posts
get away from the bike for at least a week
you won't lose fitness in that time.

catch up on things you put off during racing, yard work, drinking, doing things your lady friend wants to do etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.