Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in 8 days I'm going to attempt my first 600K. Because I needed to tweak some things after the 400K, I bit the bullet and swapped parts over to the Waterford.

This is my third ride, and I really like it. I still need to push my saddle around a couple of mm, but it's going to be great.

I needed the miles, and, well, life gets in the way, so I went out for about 60 miles at around 9:00 PM. This is the third time in a couple of months that I did a night ride. I like it, but I've got to find another rider or two to make it more fun.

I've been riding these mostly on a big loop on Lake Washington on a MUT. Of course there is nobody on it at night but me, some rabbits, and a heron or two.

There is a great all night grocery store in the University District, so I carry a lock and stop for a meal.

Sorry for the lousy pictures. I've really got to start carrying a better camera.

Off to bed. I always crack up at work the next day after doing these rides. I feel sneeky. ;-)

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Nice ride, and yes it's very sneaky. I've thought about getting up at 2am and telling my wife I'm going to the bathroom and then sneaking out for a quick 20 miler to get some miles in.

What bags do you have on your bike?

And have you ever been tempted to try and sync the dual SuperFlash units on the rear of your bike????? Just curious. :)

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Look well prepared...

I have trouble with the cue sheet in the dark. I've tried a helmet light but the reflections off the plastic cue sheet protector (baggie) make it difficult. What's your plan?

BTW, Bonne Route.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Lights?

I can't really tell from the photos. I see the Dynamo hub, and I think I see a Schmidt E6 headlight, but I can't tell what else you are running. I have just got a lumotec IQ fly (well, the post office has it - am picking it up today) and a Busch and Miller toplight to put on the Altantis (wired to a shimano hub).

The bike looks great by the way. I love those fenders. I think that I will finally have my new Riv built next week (I am slowly going insane waiting for parts).

Best of luck on the 600.

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks all.
Answers to questions:

Bags: I have an inexpensive Novara front bag. I'll probably get the real deal Berthoud, but I didn't want to do it until I had the bike assembled and well fit so I get the right mounts. I just pulled off a big honkin' Carradice Nelson Long Flap and put on the banana bag in the back. With the rain jacket strapped on the outside I have enough volume. I need one more bottle cage too.

Lights: Yeah, it's an E6 secondary with a D-Lumotec Plus main. I like it because the main is an LED that lights at very low speeds that I hit on really steep hills. Supposedly this will all be obsolete in a few days when a LED Schmidt comes out. And no, I have not tried to sync the two superflash lights. In fact, I just got the second. Two blinking Superflash lights would be banned under SALT II. I will probably run one solid and one blinking to limit the number of seizures I induce. I used to run one with a wired tail to the hub, but I like this better.

Map, so far I have had no problems reading the map at night, but I was using a different bag. Perhaps this is because, my helmet light isn't too bright?

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rcnute said:
I will have to join up one of these eves--just got my Schmidt hub.

Wow, the W'ford turned out nice.
Yup, bring those parts by. After next weekend. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.