Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Illinoisans, Wisconsinites, Michigan...ers. Minnesotans, Indianites, etc...

Are any of you headed up to SuperWeek this weekend? I'm headed to the crit in Racine on Friday and the crit in Kenosha on Saturday.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
nope. bring a mountain bike with and race sunday since you're heading up that way.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
I had the impression that SuperWeek is not quite so super as it once was... what's that other newfangled series that's taken all the glory?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Creakyknees said:
I had the impression that SuperWeek is not quite so super as it once was... what's that other newfangled series that's taken all the glory?
Tour of America's Dairyland

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tomk96 said:
nope. bring a mountain bike with and race sunday since you're heading up that way.
yuck. A couple of my friends are headed up to race mountain, but I only have a collegiate license for mountain. I don't want to pay to buy a license AND pay to race AND stay an extra day (=pay for food) etc etc.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Creakyknees said:
ToAD beats the living crap out of StupidWeek - toad is amazing. And Superweek is now famous for bouncing checks and prize money... but it's still a whole bunch of decently organized races with fast fields on pretty nice courses.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I'll be on RAGBRAI. Come find me, I'll give you a Coors or 5.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
You knew that "Superweek" was more than 7 days long, right? I did the crit at Schlitz Park (Brewery Hill) last Saturday. The attendance is markedly down compared to 15 years ago. That's not just my observation. The number of racers is reduced and the spectators is as well. There was a rumor that ICC was being "boycotted" by some racers as there was a problem with prize money checks not clearing banks. But I don't know anyone specifically. The other issue, and more understandable, was that the promotor for ICC was running afoul of municipalities and had worn out his welcome to hold events. The promotor for ToAD has a "better" relationship with the towns.

As for coming up, do it, have fun, the WORS race is at Crystal Ridge (Franklin). I'll be at that, 1:30 start for me but there's racing all day.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
CR doesn't drain all that well IRC. if the rain doesn't let up, i bet it gets rescheduled. although maybe it's just the Alpha Trail.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TWB8s said:
You knew that "Superweek" was more than 7 days long, right? I did the crit at Schlitz Park (Brewery Hill) last Saturday. The attendance is markedly down compared to 15 years ago. That's not just my observation. The number of racers is reduced and the spectators is as well. There was a rumor that ICC was being "boycotted" by some racers as there was a problem with prize money checks not clearing banks. But I don't know anyone specifically. The other issue, and more understandable, was that the promotor for ICC was running afoul of municipalities and had worn out his welcome to hold events. The promotor for ToAD has a "better" relationship with the towns.

As for coming up, do it, have fun, the WORS race is at Crystal Ridge (Franklin). I'll be at that, 1:30 start for me but there's racing all day.
Of course. I did Schlitz park and Evanston - you missed out on Evanston, its a great course. Schlitz park's hill ate me for lunch - fatty don't climb. And yup, the checks bounce, attendance is WAY down over the past few years, etc... But thank god, they don't have the 40 mile crits anymore

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
A good friend is on the Alterra team and her basement has more than a foot of water in it after the MKE area got 7" in less than an hour. She's not the only person racing and or volunteering in a dire situation. It's a safe bet the WORS at CR will be rescheduled or cancelled.

·
Registered
130 Posts
estone2 said:
Of course. I did Schlitz park and Evanston - you missed out on Evanston, its a great course. Schlitz park's hill ate me for lunch - fatty don't climb. And yup, the checks bounce, attendance is WAY down over the past few years, etc... But thank god, they don't have the 40 mile crits anymore
Yes attendance is down but this year organization was really stepped up -- and none of my checks bounced :) I, for one, hope the series lives on b/c the road race courses are pretty darn cool. TOAD is still crit centric.

-K

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
TWB8s said:
A good friend is on the Alterra team and her basement has more than a foot of water in it after the MKE area got 7" in less than an hour. She's not the only person racing and or volunteering in a dire situation. It's a safe bet the WORS at CR will be rescheduled or cancelled.
cancelled

1 - 14 of 14 Posts