Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, long story short, I'm planning on doing a 100 mile ride in 10 days. I got bruised or cracked ribs 3 weeks ago and have not been on the bike since. Before the injury, I was training 30 - 60 mile rides 2x week. I have 3 day left to train plus a recovery 2-3 days before the event. This ride has 11k+ of climbing with the last 25+ miles up a mountain.
Should I attempt this ride? If so, how should I train the last 3 rides I have. I would think to put in as many miles as I can stand without going crazy and risking an injury??
BTW, it is my first century although I've been riding for 10+ yrs. Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jaseone said:
Err "bruised or cracked ribs"... Have you seen a doctor? It would be silly trying a century with such an injury without at least some advice from someone in the know....
Probably just bruised...the injury is not bothering me much at all now. I'm more concerned about my lack of training at this point.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
When it's not a race even relatively novice riders have been known to go out and do a century (although it's not usually advisable).

Just ride for endurance with the time you have left and take it nice & easy on the century. The climbing is a little scary if you haven't trained on hills enough, though. Are you used to climbing?

3 weeks isn't enough time to lose significant performance, unless you're competing. I was off the bike for 4 months, hopped on and did a century. Butt was sore and had gotten soft, but the legs pushed through okay.

P. S. All that said, I agree with Jaseone -- do make sure you're not more seriously injured before you ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would advise against it. Better to give up this ride and then go kill the next one rather than get injured on this one and hurt yourself more seriously. If you're worried about hurting yourself more while training, what makes you think you won't get hurt on the century?

Anyway, you simply can't train for something last minute.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've done plenty of riding on bruised/cracked ribs before. I load up on painkillers before the ride and keep my arse glued to the saddle. When I do get out of the saddle to rest my butt, I try not to torque my upper body since that hurts oh so much. I've never done a century in that condition, but I've made it 4 hours or so. I imagine I could do it if I took some painkillers during the ride.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
One other note --- it really comes down to how well you were trained before you took the break. Were you close to being ready for the ride? If so, don't worry about the 3 week break. But if the 3 weeks was when you were really planning to push yourself to make significant improvements to get ready, then you may have more trouble.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Bruised, cracked, or broken ribs usually have a pretty negative effect on breathing. You might want to think about that before attempting 11K ft of climbing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.