Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Next weekend there is a sprint distance tri in my town. I was planning on doing this with a team and riding the bike leg. Our runner backed out and my swimmer isn't feeling up to it for whatever reason. So... I think I might man up and do it solo.

Not worried about the swim... going to tear up the bike leg... I don't run.. ever.. but I can suffer through 5k before collapsing.

Anyhow.. I ride with an Edge 705.. I want to wear my chest strap and get my HR data.. However swimming with the chest strap doesn't really work.

Would wearing a tight fitting top work well enough to hold the strap in place?

My only other option is quickly putting the strap on during the transition. Since it's my first tri I'm not worried about my time or transitions.. Just want to have fun and tear my legs off in the bike leg..

Advice?

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
since you're not sweating transition times, it'll be easier to take a few seconds to put the strap on in T1.

If you haven't been doing many brick workouts (bike/run), make sure to spin for the last few minutes on the bike -- you'll be surprised how your legs and feet want to continue to do circles when the run starts.

and yeah, don't get caught up in the fervor of it all -- have a blast

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i wouldnt wanna risk putting my edge in the water for teh swim, even in a ziplock or something.

just strap it on during transition1.

oh, and the reason they are dropping out is they are wusses. they realize they may be in over their heads.

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
Not sure about the Edge, but my Forerunner specifically says its not waterproof. I wouldn't test it in the water, but you're more than welcome to.

Good luck. I'm doing a sprint in a few weeks. Any reasonably active person who knows how to swim can finish a sprint. Training just helps you finish faster.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't planning on having my 705 on me for the swim.. just the strap. I was going to leave that on the bike. Then throw it in my rear pocket for the run.

I think I'll just take the time to strap it to me and put on a jersey.. might be easier than worrying about it! Won't be fun cycling without a chamois though. Not going to spend the money on Tri shorts right yet.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Won't be fun cycling without a chamois though. Not going to spend the money on Tri shorts right yet.
It's not that bad for 20k. Less uncomfortable (in my opinion) than running 5k in regular bike shorts.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have a pair of Speedo Jammers I'll wear. My training suit from this past winter. Hopefully it stays on.. I've shrunk!

Should be interesting if I do this solo.. Fun!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Well I have a pair of Speedo Jammers I'll wear. My training suit from this past winter. Hopefully it stays on.. I've shrunk!

Should be interesting if I do this solo.. Fun!
It will be fun. I gave it up because I hate swim training but they've recently added the duathlon to the local event so I've been considering giving that a try. Like HokieRider said, if the goal is to finish and have fun, almost anyone can do a sprint. A local lady who is almost 80 did the local sprint the last year I did it. She was the last one in by a large margin but she finished the entire thing with a smile on her face and every bit of the crowd waited for her to come in, including the overall winner who was waiting at the line for her. She got the loudest cheer of the day.

·
Wearing blue suede shoes
900 Posts
This is a cool thread in that I signed up to do my first tri on Saturday. It's a sprint. Like most, it will be the swimming that gets me. I haven't trained at all for that aspect of it. I used to swim competitively but that was a long time ago. I have been riding quite a bit and running a ton. I'm signed up for the Chicago marathon in October, so the rest doesn't shake me up too much.
I did splurge and get a 2XU tri-suit so hopefully I'm comfy. I'm really looking forward to it.
Good luck, we'll have to exchange war stories.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can suffer through just about anything if I really want to... I should be able to gap everyone in the swim. Haven't swam in a few months but It's not a long swim by any means. I highly doubt anyone will be able to touch me on the bike... and I expect to fall apart on the run. haven't ran in a few years.. not even to play catch.. So I'm expecting some pain the following day!
I don't expect to win or anything but I doubt I'll do poorly.

I almost hope my team backs out so I'm forced to do this!

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
JustTooBig said:
If you haven't been doing many brick workouts (bike/run), make sure to spin for the last few minutes on the bike -- you'll be surprised how your legs and feet want to continue to do circles when the run starts.
And run slowly at the start. After being on the bike, it will hardly feel like you're moving, and it's easy to blow yourself up. Give yourself a half mile or so to get into your normal running rhythm.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Would wearing a tight fitting top work well enough to hold the strap in place?
Advice?
I find it's much easier to swim with the strap on. I've done two events so far, and both times wore my hr monitor under my 2XU trisuit. So yes, to answer your question a tight fitting top will keep it in place, and even though you're not worried about times per se, I'd recommend swimming in what you're going to ride/run in as well. putting on a shirt while wet leads to no good.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I can suffer through just about anything if I really want to... I should be able to gap everyone in the swim. Haven't swam in a few months but It's not a long swim by any means. I highly doubt anyone will be able to touch me on the bike... and I expect to fall apart on the run. haven't ran in a few years.. not even to play catch.. So I'm expecting some pain the following day!
I don't expect to win or anything but I doubt I'll do poorly.

I almost hope my team backs out so I'm forced to do this!
You can lose the race in the swim (a friend of mine did the local race a couple years ago and had the 2nd fastest bike split and the 4th fastest run but finished 12th overall because he was next to last out of the water) but you can't really win it from there if you're slower in the other areas, the run is usually the killer if you're not a runner unless you're way ahead going into it because the distance is short enough in a sprint that the runners are hammering it. But you said you're not too worried about that so have fun.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
it's only a sprint tri, and your garmin will not be usefull when swimming (not waterproof) or running (too big to hold/no wrist strap)

skip the garmin and enjoy your tri

·
I luv riding in WA
1,148 Posts
JustTooBig said:
Ditto. I was that guy, very nearly falling on my face repeatedly because some cruel puppeteer was playing games with the strings attached to my legs.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My team came together mid week.. Ended up just riding the bike leg which turned out to be an awesome fun time. Got a lot of funny looks from the competition as I sat on my trainer 30 minutes before the start!

My swimmer came out around 20-25th and we handed of the chip.. I started out too fast and looked down to see a heart rate of 190! Reeled myself back in and settled into a nice sustainable pace.. Ended up passing everyone and moved up to 4th or 5th on the road. Ended up averaging a heart rate of 180bpm for 50 minutes and 36 seconds at 21.6mph. Out of 150+ people I had the 5th fastest bike leg. Pretty good considering the 4 guys ahead of me had fully pimped Tri bikes! Felt good passing the tri peeps while resting on my hoods!

Pretty happy with my performance overall.. Might do it solo next year if I can convince myself to get my feet into some running shoes!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
My team came together mid week.. Ended up just riding the bike leg which turned out to be an awesome fun time. Got a lot of funny looks from the competition as I sat on my trainer 30 minutes before the start!

My swimmer came out around 20-25th and we handed of the chip.. I started out too fast and looked down to see a heart rate of 190! Reeled myself back in and settled into a nice sustainable pace.. Ended up passing everyone and moved up to 4th or 5th on the road. Ended up averaging a heart rate of 180bpm for 50 minutes and 36 seconds at 21.6mph. Out of 150+ people I had the 5th fastest bike leg. Pretty good considering the 4 guys ahead of me had fully pimped Tri bikes! Felt good passing the tri peeps while resting on my hoods!

Pretty happy with my performance overall.. Might do it solo next year if I can convince myself to get my feet into some running shoes!

You can always walk the run leg and you've got the swimming thing down. I say go solo.

Also, glad you enjoyed yourself!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Hecks yes, go solo! Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts