Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might take the plunge into a cx bike this weekend My jamis is in the shop getting a tune up.

Thinking of going cheap on it.

Any recommendations i am looking at the fuji's.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
My only advice is to seriously consider how often and where you'll be using it. If you're going to race it, have at it. If not, do you have enough dirt trails and roads near you to get the use out of it?

My wife and I bought cross bikes a few years ago thinking that they would be great for riding dirt roads in the shoulder seasons when the mtb trails are snowed in and the roads are messy. It turns out I'm snowboarding that time of year and my wife is running.

We don't ride them nearly as often as we thought we would. I've done a couple masochistic single track rides on mine but otherwise just a few dirt road rides per year.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
That looks like a great price on a nice bike. Fuji's are hard to beat when it comes to bang for the buck. I have a Fuji road bike, track bike, and used to have a Fuji cross bike (have since upgraded to a Specialized SWorks cross bike). My cross bike is my foul weather bike and the bike I'll ride when I know I'm going to hit a lot of dirt roads. I have 2 wheelsets for it - one with cross tires and one with somewhat beefy road tires (gatorskins).

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Why do you want a cross bike?

That Fuji looks OK but not a fantastic deal.
Are you a SRAM (or Shimano) guy?
It has 46/36 chainrings.
It doesn't say which brake calipers. Some models are a lot better than others.
It doesn't have rack mounts. Many use cross bikes for commuting/touring.

I deleted the email but don't you get triple Performance points this weekend? I'm not in that program but wouldn't that get you a bunch of free stuff if you bought a bike?

I'd consider this one too: Fuji Cross 1.5 Cyclocross Bike - 2016
It has 105 components with TRP Spyre calipers (2nd best mechanical out there). The Spyres cost about $150 a pair to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you want a cross bike?

That Fuji looks OK but not a fantastic deal.
Are you a SRAM (or Shimano) guy?
It has 46/36 chainrings.
It doesn't say which brake calipers. Some models are a lot better than others.
It doesn't have rack mounts. Many use cross bikes for commuting/touring.

I deleted the email but don't you get triple Performance points this weekend? I'm not in that program but wouldn't that get you a bunch of free stuff if you bought a bike?

I'd consider this one too: Fuji Cross 1.5 Cyclocross Bike - 2016
It has 105 components with TRP Spyre calipers (2nd best mechanical out there). The Spyres cost about $150 a pair to upgrade.
Just to give me another option for my riding. I love my jamis, but sometimes i want to go down a dirt road and not have to worry about getting a little dirty.

i run a 36 with 28 rear and that has gotten me up some steep hills.
I like sram, i hate how shimano brakes tilt in.

I need to spice up my riding, and in the essence this will be my winter training bike, something i can take out when it snows.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
When i need to brake with the shimano the break lever sometimes tilts in like almost to shift.
Di2 solved that problem for me, but I know what you mean. It is a very disconcerting feeling. I don't want any movement perpendicular to the direction of braking.

Back to the original topic -- a cyclocross or "adventure road" bike (which is technically what mine is) really is fun. I can go for a road ride and then hop on the trail and go ride like a mountain bike. Nothing too technical, but I can do most stuff now better with that bike than I can with my mountain bike. I just have to steer around large rocks and roots and hazards rather than though them, which makes riding a rough fire road much more entertaining.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
CX / Gravel bikes are very versatile - Personally I would make sure your choice would handle 40mm tires or incase you decide want to do some gravel rides on rougher terrain (becoming very popular) - maybe look at your local craigs list in either case first unless you are in a hurry to buy.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Way over your budget, but I thought grave/CX was the perfect excuse for a Ti bike which I think is perfectly suited to taking out the transmission of the road chatter and bumps from the rider.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
So .... wadja buy?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
So .... wadja buy?
Body of water Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Coastal and oceanic landforms

I went all the way... Did a beach ride Friday night, it was so nice out and it was especially scenic at the Jersey Shore. The Farley don't do roads... It does snow, ice, sand and trails. Hell, I've done rides through the woods without trails.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
View attachment 314695

I went all the way... Did a beach ride Friday night, it was so nice out and it was especially scenic at the Jersey Shore. The Farley don't do roads... It does snow, ice, sand and trails. Hell, I've done rides through the woods without trails.
My evil wife won't let me buy one of these.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
That must be a lot of fun. I've been pleasantly surprised at how many off road scenarios having just 33mm tires on a cross bike can handle so I can only imagine where one could go with that thing.
It's such a completely different kind of bike ride... More strength work, if that makes sense? Fun, absolutely, and it's made me a much better road cyclist. It'll stay up on top of snow shoe tracks! Just don't put your foot down! I learned that on first face plant into the deep snow... I love beach rides, I don't go out with goals, I just enjoy the waves and salt air. I trail ride too, but I got for snow and sand, both of which it does well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
View attachment 314695

Our group-ride passed a dude doing a 75 mile fondo on a fat-bike yesterday. Friction from those tires is one thing, but his full-face helmet wouldn't be pleasant in the heat of the sun and I expect he walked the ~38lb bike up the two ~18% (max) grades on the route.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts