Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started racing again this season after a 12 year hiatus. I haven't had a migraine in over 10 years, but after 4 of the 8 races (period of 2.5 months) I've done this year this season I've gotten full blown migraines (about 3 - 4 hours post race). I get the typical Aura, numbness, nausea/vomit, speech loss, and of course, pain. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Hydration?

cp1121 said:
I've started racing again this season after a 12 year hiatus. I haven't had a migraine in over 10 years, but after 4 of the 8 races (period of 2.5 months) I've done this year this season I've gotten full blown migraines (about 3 - 4 hours post race). I get the typical Aura, numbness, nausea/vomit, speech loss, and of course, pain. Anyone experience this?
Have you monitored your hydration (body weight, frequency of urination, color of urine)? IIRC, dehydration has been linked to migraines.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Strange. I usually get about one migraine a year, but this year I've already had two - one while riding. A couple of weeks ago I was riding at race-pace up Independence Pass here in Aspen, and on the way down I got a sun-spot, and had to race back to my car to assure I made it back to the house before the onset really took place.

I drank a Red Bull (which I rarely do, and I don't really even drink caffeine), just before the ride...I'm not sure what caused it, but always good to analyze exactly what you are fueling yourself with. I'm definitely never drinking a Red Bull again - at least not on an empty stomach.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
cp1121 said:
Used to. The key for me was to not stop. I used to feel terrible after races - typical migraine symptoms, and one or two full blown migraines. My solution is to go for a cool down ride afterwards. It doesnt matter how slow the cool-down ride is, it still saves me from a migraine. That, and I stay outside for a while before cooping myself up in a car - that's always good for you.

A cool-down ride is great because it provides some buffer against migraines, and it also actually saves your legs from being toast for the next day's workout/race, or if you have two races in one day.

BTW by cool down I mean ULTRA low intensity. Like, 18mph max, avg 14-15mph. Do it with a friend and it's not half bad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My wife and I both suffer from migraines. The key for us is managing our “triggers.” If you're not sure what yours are, keep a log for 3 - 4 weeks with everything you eat, every exercise you perform and environmental factors (stress, job change, flying, illness, etc.). Common triggers are stress, poor / lack sleep, period (women, obviously), red wine, chocolate, heat, lighting type (fluorescent is common), and a number of others.

Without knowing you, I'd say look at your hydration as a previous poster suggested. When I start to get dehydrated, I'm almost guaranteed a migraine. For her, less than 7 hours of sleep is a big factor.

If it continues, see your doctor! There are a number of preventative drugs as well as decent abortive drugs should you get one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have smoked 15 years and gave it up since 4 years . Than started cycling . After stop smoking my migraine started . I can tell that all my vascular system has totally changed .

While you are racing the cardiovaskular system displays too many variation .

Regards,
Tolga Gürgün

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.