Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got an Easter card from the 80yo MIL yesterday. Nice card, but on the inside it had a little note: Mrs. Chain, Chain and Lauren, Happy Easter. Very nice, but she didn't get our daughters name correct. There aren't any Laurens in the family.

We are in Colorado, and she's in California. She has other kids in the area, but we have no idea if this is a common mistake or if she's just losing it.

Should we just keep our mouths shut or alert my wife's siblings to keep an eye on her?

What sayeth the Lounge?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Could be nothing, could be something.

Worth a mention, but not a panic.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Utah

Maybe Mrs. Chain has a secret life with another man and a love child named Lauren. So it is possible that MIL just mixed up the cards to your wife's multiple families.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keeping up with Junior said:
Maybe Mrs. Chain has a secret life with another man and a love child named Lauren. So it is possible that MIL just mixed up the cards to your wife's multiple families.
LOL.... I'll have to check that out. Anyone know a good PI?

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
She's 80 for gawds sake! My FIL just did something like this recently and he's 84. As long as it doesn't show a pattern I'd simply accept it as old-timers, not alzheimers. Again, if there's no pattern I wouldn't dream of mentioning it. How does your wife like it when you correct her? Bet that goes over real well.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
ask the local-to-her relatives if she's been having "senior moments" lately.

might want to start checking on her a bit more frequently.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Chain said:
LOL.... I'll have to check that out. Anyone know a good PI?
Oldest and largest in the bizness.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
She's 80 for gawds sake! My FIL just did something like this recently and he's 84. As long as it doesn't show a pattern I'd simply accept it as old-timers, not alzheimers. Again, if there's no pattern I wouldn't dream of mentioning it. How does your wife like it when you correct her? Bet that goes over real well.
+1

my grandfather is with it mentally and just celebrated his 91st birthday. however, he has neither spelled my name correctly nor made the same spelling mistake twice for quite a while now. (and my name ain't hard to get)....

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mel Erickson said:
We are far enough away that it would be difficult to see if there is a pattern or not. She calls every week or so, but that's about it.

Now this correcting the wife thingy...Really. Didn't know that was a possibility. How does that work exactly? :p (My wife's great No problem there)

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Creakyknees said:
ask the local-to-her relatives if she's been having "senior moments" lately.

might want to start checking on her a bit more frequently.
Ask if an 80 year old has been having "senior moments"? That's like asking Michele O'b if she likes sleeveless dresses.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
Ask if an 80 year old has been having "senior moments"? That's like asking Michele O'b if she likes sleeveless dresses.
I don't want to picture Barack playing dress up.:blush2: Ewwwww.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Creakyknees said:
oh, and take her car keys.

kthx
That's part of the concern. She lives alone and drives herself everywhere. Even if we are at the beginning stages of something, it's a big concern.

She's all of 4' 10" and used to drive a full size Cadillac ship. At least now she's downsized to a Honda Accord. Still it looks like the car doesn't have a driver when it's going down the street.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I don't think I'd get in a panic over it just yet. Hell, in her 50's my mom used to call me by the dogs name...might explain my inferiority complex.:)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
I have heard it said MANY times that if they could delay the onset of alzheimers for 10 years, it would cease to be a problem. You MIL is 80, if she is just starting to have "senior moments" she'd in good shape!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
oh Snap....here girl....'cmon...here girl......

ducking

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I wrote this 3 years ago about our experience with Altzheimer's.....3 years later and he is even worse. I Hope your MIL is just experiencing age induced dementia. If it's me, I would have her tested...there has been much progress in the last several years. Better to be careful.

Multiple extended losses.

<HR style="COLOR: #b7b7b7" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Over the last 12 years, I’ve watched, with some distance, my father in law’s journey from a 70 YO mathematical genius engineer to someone who does not recognize his own children, can’t tie his own shoes yet is still aware enough periodically to realize how many losses he has suffered. It may be the saddest thing I have ever watched. Alzheimer’s is a terrible disease…..something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy, and especially not on their family.

One of the insidious things about this disease is that it happens so gradually and, in my FIL’s case, he had great moments followed by really bad moments followed by OK periods. He was, at least for the first 5 or so years, totally aware of all the losses in capability he was suffering. He would have an episode and then realize that he had a “Hole in his memory”. It was as if someone was carving away small parts of him over an extended period of time.

Eventually, the father my wife knew died…..yet there was no wake, no funeral, no moving on, because his physical body was still there in front of us……only his mind had died…..his personality was gone. Look at one of your parents and think about how you would handle something like this.

Late last week, my FIL had a severe stroke. It appears it’s the beginning of the end. My wife is very conflicted, moving from feelings of sadness to relief to guilt as she has grieved for the loss of her father years ago. Her and her siblings continue to minister to him out of a sense of duty, out of respect, but it’s clear that they all dealt with his loss years ago……it is a very odd place to be emotionally for all of them, there is no closure yet, it’s like they are in emotional suspended animation…….and it’s been like this for years.

So on this day, I just wanted to acknowledge their loss, and their strength. I am very proud of my wife and her family. I hope if I, god forbid, ever take this journey that the important people in my life will remain as loyal and as loving. I should be so blessed.

Thanks for listening.

Len
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
oh Snap....here girl....'cmon...here girl......

ducking
Snot.

She used to rattle off every kid and dog name, knowing one of us had done something wrong.....

ROBERT, ALLAN, NANCY, JANET, COCO, POOCHIE, TAFFY!!!!!!

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
My wife assesses people like this for a living.

Her recommendation? Mention it to the local relatives - the real key is: is she still
paying bills and keeping her affairs kept up? Or is she forgetting things?

It may be nothing, it may be something.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
snapdragen said:
Snot.

She used to rattle off every kid and dog name, knowing one of us had done something wrong.....

ROBERT, ALLAN, NANCY, JANET, COCO, POOCHIE, TAFFY!!!!!!
My Mom is one of 8 kids. Their Mom would just run through the list in order until she got to the one she wanted to yell at. They called it Mouseketeer Roll Call.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts