Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently purchased a new bike and with it a set of Zipp 202 Firecrests. My first all carbon wheel. The brake pads are the new? zipp tangente platinum pro evo ones. Love the wheels and the braking is much better than I anticipated, so all good there. The bike has around 400km on it so far but can see noticeable wear on the pads.

Wondering if there is an average mileage you lot get out of them as I kinda assumed they would be similar to normal alloy wheel wear but dont appear to be?

i ride almost exclusively hills and love descending fast and dont ride the brakes, in fact dont think I use them all that much except for some hard stops on tight corners etc. As an example I normally get about a year out of a set of Swissstop Black pads on Dura-Ace wheels, at the current rate these dont look like they will last two months

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hi all, I recently purchased a new bike and with it a set of Zipp 202 Firecrests. My first all carbon wheel. The brake pads are the new? zipp tangente platinum pro evo ones. Love the wheels and the braking is much better than I anticipated, so all good there. The bike has around 400km on it so far but can see noticeable wear on the pads.

Wondering if there is an average mileage you lot get out of them as I kinda assumed they would be similar to normal alloy wheel wear but dont appear to be?

i ride almost exclusively hills and love descending fast and dont ride the brakes, in fact dont think I use them all that much except for some hard stops on tight corners etc. As an example I normally get about a year out of a set of Swissstop Black pads on Dura-Ace wheels, at the current rate these dont look like they will last two months
All of Zipp's brake pads are designed to reduce heat buildup and also wear of the carbon rim surface. Part of how they accomplish this is by sacrificial pad wear to prevent rim wear. Also, the Evo pads are 1mm thinner than previous ones so you have a little less pad to work with (although they do claim the 'taller' radial height of the pad neutralizes this in terms of wear rates).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.