Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Velownews: " Ivan Basso should not be held up as a model for young riders, Scottish rider David Millar said on Saturday.

Millar said that despite 30-year-old Basso — who is allowed to ride competitively again from October 24, 2008, and has agreed a two-year deal with Liquigas — serving a two-year ban for his involvement in the Operation Puerto scandal he was in no way a role model for those aspiring to become professional cyclists.

"Basso never admitted to being doped," said Millar, who was banned for two years in August 2004 for using blood-booster EPO when riding with Cofidis and who was retroactively stripped of his 2003 world time trial victory.

"He is neither a hero, nor a victim. He cannot be a model for the young people," added Millar in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.

Millar's comments come after the sport's supremo Pat McQuaid, president of the International Cycling Union (UCI), had said he would like Basso to be a point man for the fight against drugs, which has bedevilled the sport for the past 10 years.

Millar, who has repented since his drugs ban and has become a torchbearer for a new wave of professional cyclists who are fighting to bring about a new era in the peloton without doping, said he believed that contrary to public opinion the majority of professional cyclists were clean.

"We are in the middle of a huge cultural change which involves every element of cycling: riders, teams, sponsors, the press and the public," said Millar, who now rides for Slipstream-Chipotle, the team that won the opening stage of the Giro d'Italia on Saturday."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand what Millar is saying and perhaps Basso is not the perfect example. but there are many thing to take into consideration.

For Example: What if: Basso did not dope. what if all the information that none of us have, points towards Basso being schedule to dope. 2 Very different things.

but lets go ahead and assumed he did, since we all did already.

What makes Millar so great? I do enjoy his remarks and actually like the guy but what makes it ok for him to judge others.

He didn't admit to doping until he was 100% caught. RED HANDED. same as Basso. he didn't become this doping avenger till he served his ban and came back with his message. so why is he so special. Millar is better than most in trying to do something about it but to prejudge others in this case is making me dislike him a wee bit.

Basso I hope does help advocate a " non doping " peleton. I guess we will see.

discuss

· Banned
2,241 Posts
tete de la tour said:
Velownews: " Ivan Basso should not be held up as a model for young riders, Scottish rider David Millar said on Saturday.

Millar said that despite 30-year-old Basso — who is allowed to ride competitively again from October 24, 2008, and has agreed a two-year deal with Liquigas — serving a two-year ban for his involvement in the Operation Puerto scandal he was in no way a role model for those aspiring to become professional cyclists.

"Basso never admitted to being doped," said Millar, who was banned for two years in August 2004 for using blood-booster EPO when riding with Cofidis and who was retroactively stripped of his 2003 world time trial victory.

"He is neither a hero, nor a victim. He cannot be a model for the young people," added Millar in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.

Millar's comments come after the sport's supremo Pat McQuaid, president of the International Cycling Union (UCI), had said he would like Basso to be a point man for the fight against drugs, which has bedevilled the sport for the past 10 years.

Millar, who has repented since his drugs ban and has become a torchbearer for a new wave of professional cyclists who are fighting to bring about a new era in the peloton without doping, said he believed that contrary to public opinion the majority of professional cyclists were clean.

"We are in the middle of a huge cultural change which involves every element of cycling: riders, teams, sponsors, the press and the public," said Millar, who now rides for Slipstream-Chipotle, the team that won the opening stage of the Giro d'Italia on Saturday."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand what Millar is saying and perhaps Basso is not the perfect example. but there are many thing to take into consideration.

For Example: What if: Basso did not dope. what if all the information that none of us have, points towards Basso being schedule to dope. 2 Very different things.

but lets go ahead and assumed he did, since we all did already.

What makes Millar so great? I do enjoy his remarks and actually like the guy but what makes it ok for him to judge others.

He didn't admit to doping until he was 100% caught. RED HANDED. same as Basso. he didn't become this doping avenger till he served his ban and came back with his message. so why is he so special. Millar is better than most in trying to do something about it but to prejudge others in this case is making me dislike him a wee bit.

Basso I hope does help advocate a " non doping " peleton. I guess we will see.

discuss
Basso never admitted doping, just attempting to dope.Of course this is complete BS. The OP files have Brillo's doping schedule in them. Smart move though, by admitting to only attempted doping he was able to shape the discussion, instead of a complete investigation that would have been much more painful.

Basso will go straight back to his old tricks.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I've always admired Basso's sister.

· Registered
650 Posts
I think in the current cycling situation we all need to get past the" maybe he didn't dope" statement. The people who run the uci and wada are for all intents and purposes pretty good at their jobs, they are not just cycling fans or some other nobody from the streets. When a rider let alone a top rider is placed up before the media and alleged to have doped there has been some research done and some cross checking of the samples. As a cycling and public fan base to clean up our sport now maybe we need to take a more critical look at who our heros in the cycling world are and if they dope (read above) then we need to really throw the book at them and not just ban then for a few years. I personnaly have a less then favourable veiw of riders who come back after a ban and even less so of a team who will hire such a rider. What at time seems to be forgotten is that these riders are cheating, and not just in the sporting terms, they are defrauding their employers and the sports fans and last of all themselves. This in my opinion is not a time to be seen to go lightly on accused dopers.
Disclaimer the uci "leaking" names before the b sample is shameful and less than what is required from a sports governing body.
Now to the question. in my opinion he HAS to come clean and be a role model in a way simalar to Millar or he is no better than the rest. and that is a no good dirty rotten cheat.

· Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
slowdave said:
What at time seems to be forgotten is that these riders are cheating, and not just in the sporting terms, they are defrauding their employers and the sports fans and last of all themselves.
I don't quite agree this statement.
As if employers (sponsors, directeur sportifs etc.) didn't know what was going on.
eg. Rasmussen and Rabobank, Basso and CSC (Bjarne Riis). I'm of the opinion that once the proverbial sh!t hits the fan, these riders are hung out to dry. Of course they know this will happen and accept the terms, hence the so called omerta.

Now maybe there is some wind of change blowing with directeur sportifs like Jonathan Vaughters and Bob Stapleton. Only time will tell if this wind is permanent or not. I'm also of the opinion that anti-doping systems have to apply to everyone. I don't agree with High-road using one system and CSC using another etc.

As far as defrauding us the fans goes, I again don't agree with that statement. These athletes don't owe us anything. Does George Clooney owe us something because we go see his movies? Other than signing autographs and being polite to us the fans at public events they don't have to do anything else for us.

· Banned
2,241 Posts
Comparing Millar and Basso is weak at best.

Many forget that when Millar was caught top riders never fessed up back then. They would just continue the mantra of "Never tested positive" Millar's case made it clear that the testing was a joke and the only hope for resolution of the doping problem was riders coming forward, Out of competition controls, and non-uci actions (WADA, Police, judicial)

Sure, Millar denied for the first 24 hours but if that is all you focus on and ignore his efforts toward a clean sport in the last 4 years then you are being short sighted. He has been a poster boy for clean cycling. Instead of ignoring the subject he has faced it straight on....Helped develop what is widely accepted as the cleanest team in the Peloton, continued to say that the sport has a problem when many others try to ignore it, and called out liers like Basso who deserve no acclaim.

Basso has continued to lie, why should we expect any different? He lied when he was kicked out the 2006 Tour, He lied to Riis, He lied to Johann, He lied to the public for over a year. and then to top it off he makes up this pathetic "I only attempted to dope" story.

· Banned
3,262 Posts
I agree with your post

bigpinkt said:
Basso has continued to lie, why should we expect any different? He lied when he was kicked out the 2006 Tour, He lied to Riis, He lied to Johann, He lied to the public for over a year. and then to top it off he makes up this pathetic "I only attempted to dope" story.
except for the part where you write "he lied to Johan." There is no evidence that Johan was ever against doping except in the lip service sense. It's obvious Johan was in on the lie.

The rationale used when Disco hired Basso in the first place was that nothing was proven against Basso, and he was signed with the full backing and encouragement of Johan....:)

· Registered
2,370 Posts
It must be assumed that Basso assured Johan that there were no links to O.P. and that there was no risk of him being sanctioned. Johan's stance against doping notwithstanding, it would have taken some concvincing that he was hiring a rider that was going to be able to ride through his contract.

· likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Duh

Pat McQuaid is one of the biggest idiots ever to walk the planet! This is just another example of someone who does not even possess two normally functioning brains cells to rub together to form a thought obtaining a position of prominence and influence.

· Registered
147 Posts
Good points for both arguments but ...

Even though Basso's story is probably at best partially true, I do think he could be a good "spokesman", maybe not a role model, in encouraging others not to dope. He is still loved by many fans and his words would carry a lot of weight. So why not let him try ? If Millar has been given a second chance, so should Basso.

Just my 2 cents.

power1369

· Banned
2,241 Posts
Bianchigirl said:
Millar thinks Contador is 'one of the good guys' - I think it's safe to say that his judgement is unreliable...
Ugh, he just lost me with that. Did he really say that?

hey, everyone liked Tyler too.

· Registered
425 Posts
Leave him (Basso) alone and let him race.We have lost too many great racers to this junk.Lets look to the future. If we punish every Euro Pro for past doping we might only be left with local crits for viewing.

· Registered
650 Posts
sevencycle said:
Leave him (Basso) alone and let him race.We have lost too many great racers to this junk.Lets look to the future. If we punish every Euro Pro for past doping we might only be left with local crits for viewing.
Was he a great racer before or after he "attempted" to dope. I would rather watch local riders who i know are clean than a bunch or guys who were good before they doped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.